Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

R.E.A.L. 250gr bullets shot like garbage in my m/l today.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: R.E.A.L. 250gr bullets shot like garbage in my m/l today.

Part of the reason that I bought the mold is that I was able to buy it for barely more than they want for 100 rounds. Ammo is just getting rediculously expensive....
Old 03-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Well that is very true. I have that mold and the 320 grain REAL as well as the .54 calibers. Now in one of my Renegade .54 calibers, it shoots the smaller 300 grain just fine. It also shoots the 380 grain well too. So there is no telling what the rifle will like.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TUK101

I stopped by the sporting goods store today and picked up a LEE 260gr. double cavity mold for my T/C 50 cal today. The bullets turned out good, I bore buttered them up and used anywhere from 60 to 90 gr. of powder in them and the bullets where hitting all over at 25 35 and 50 yards. Mostly shooting high and right. Round ball shoots pretty darned accurate in this gun and I am a bit dissapointed that it shoots kinda crappy with the bullets. Any tips or facts that I should know?
If they look good on the outside, weigh them, and select only those that are heaviest, and are withing 3 grains of one another in weight. This is to avoid internal casting voids that you can't see.

Next, try shooting them NAKED, with NO GREASE or LUBE of any kind on the bullet, but put a greased Wonder Wad under the bullet and seat the bullet on the wad. I assume you cast them from pure lead, and they load easily without being deformed as you start them into the bore.

Here's howhome-cast MaxiBalls will shoot with NOTHING for lube except the Wonder Wad under the bullet base...

3 rounds, .45, 3 rounds .50, range 100 yards.

(Hey! If you think the REAL's are too loose, try using a thin lubed patch with them, just as if they were round balls)
Old 03-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tips Eldequelo. I was using them lubed with borebutter and no wad. I have some of those lubed button wads, is that what you are talking about?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TUK101

Thanks for the tips Eldequelo. I was using them lubed with borebutter and no wad. I have some of those lubed button wads, is that what you are talking about?
Yes, the same kind as are used in a revolver instead of sealing the chamber mouths with grease. But of course, bigger, so they work in rifles of various calibers.