Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Burnt patches

Old 03-06-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Burnt patches

Well I managed to take one shot with my New T/C New Englander. I used70grns of pyrodex with a .530RB and a .10 patch. The patches are some what old but still seem greasy.Thepatch and ball went down the bore with ease, should it be snug?I am new to this RB shooting but after the shot the patch was burnt right through. Is this good or bad? When the snow melts I will be able to get to the range to shootmore but not going to happen now.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:00 PM

Default RE: Burnt patches

Thats bad. If it burns up in the barrel, the patch wont be doing as good of a job as it should be. I had the same problem like you. My patches were old and 110grains fffg was burning them up. I added some bore butter to them, doped them up really good and never had a problem since. Im not happy with how cheap they get with the borebutter on the prelubed patches.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Get some new .015 patches and try it again. You will have much better luck. While I am not saying you should have to pound on the ramrod to seat the ball, a short starter is needed to get it going and then some effort to make one smooth motion with the projectile down the barrel. I am sure the age and the thickness of the patch were your problem.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Going down too easy is not good for accuracy but should not burn out patches unless the lube is dried out or not a very good lube to start with. I cut my patches when I load at the muzzle using moosemilk or Natural Lube. I have been using Walmart pillow ticking for most of my patching but just added an old denim styled shirt to my patch collection. It has nice tight threads and is rugged but thinner than pillowticking.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

On patches and lubes. I understand the need for the lube etc. But my question is about the smell of some of these lubes. Wonder lube smells like the old wax vampire teeth I used to get as a kid. Would this smell effect your hunting by leaving an aromatic smell in the woods?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't a burnt patch indicate blow by??? IMO Cayugad is right-go with the thicker patch. If you are concerned with smells, just go with a spit patch. I have been spit patching for over 30 years with no problems. Tom.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep...go with a .015 patch, lube yourself, I use SnoSeal and if you still get burned patches either go with a .018 or a .020 patch or put a wad, wasp nesting, or another patch between your powder and ball...You might also find that you can use a thinner patch for the 2nd shot if you don't clean between shots and the burned powder actually helps protect the 2nd patch, preventing burnout...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I've used a lot of different lubes in my life, from bore butter, mink oil (that really stinks), home made lubes, moosemilk, and while deer will be curious and carefularound me, they never seemed to avoid me because of the smell of the lube. Normally it is something I do that gives my position away.

Uusally it is that second snorting doe you failed to see that as you bring your rifle up has a fit and starts her snorting, feet stomping, tail waving, and everything else. Man I hate them deer that stand off where I can't see them. They have busted me more times then I care to think.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SaskBushMan

Well I managed to take one shot with my New T/C New Englander. I used70grns of pyrodex with a .530RB and a .10 patch. The patches are some what old but still seem greasy.Thepatch and ball went down the bore with ease, should it be snug?I am new to this RB shooting but after the shot the patch was burnt right through. Is this good or bad? When the snow melts I will be able to get to the range to shootmore but not going to happen now.
Burned/blown patches are not good-they indicate that the ball is not obnturating well, and gas is blowiung by the patch. Chances are your patch/ball combination is a little too small. You might have better luck if you use a .535" ball. Your powder charge is NOT excessive-it should not burn patches!