Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scope cover/ protector

Old 03-06-2007, 11:34 AM

Default scope cover/ protector

Is there any type of cover or protector made to fit on scopes to keep scope clean on a bp rifle so it does not get full of crud or what do you use ?
Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: scope cover/ protector

I use these on all my guns and they work great.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=11614&hvarDept=400&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode= 2&hvarTarget=browse
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Pella Hunter of course the scope lens covers protect the glass, and they do make different covers to protect the lens of the scope. If you're talking about protecting the Body of the scope from the fowling that occurs from the open breech design, there are actual scope covers you can purchase that fit the scope between the rings and around the adjustment knobs that will work.

Another easy way is with black electrical tape. Cut a piece long enough to circle the scope while at the same time have the ends to stick. You can then cut a smaller piece to lay against the longer piece to cover the sticky part of the tape. The when you wrap that plastic tape there is nothing actually on the scope. It is hard to describe in writing what I am trying to say.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pella hunter

What I have done is just take a piece of heavy camo cloth and wrap it around the bottom of the scope and over the turrents, then either use Cayugads black tape or wire ties to hold it on...

Here is probably what you are probably looking for...

Old 03-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought one of them scope covers and it ripped the second time I took it on and off. I now have it held together with electrical tape, which was what I wanted to get away from in the first place with m nice looking White Rifle. I never thought of the heavy canvas. Do you oil that canvas at all, Sabotloader?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

No I didn't... mine is a piece of camo with a strip of velcro sewn to it. It has been singed underneath but still survives...

Old 03-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The folks that make the Bikini Covers (Uncle Mikes?) should also make a handy-dandy scope protector with sort of the same styling and maybe an extra tough, temperature resistantexterior. Would certainly be handy.

Simple protector from a piece of large hose

and one you can make from an old inner tube at http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data/500/491protectorF.jpg You really only need two holes.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is on all my scopes. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ooth&noImage=0
Old 03-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

liquidorange

Yep, that is what mine was, then I cut the bells off so I could turn it upside down and protect the under side of the scope where the VELCRO would normally be..
Old 03-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Why is there so much concern about protecting the scope? Is it concern about damage or getting dirty? Is it more of an in-line problem? I don't protect the scope on my sidelock and only feel compelled to really clean it after 50+ shots, then I suspend the gun upside down and spray the scope with hot soapy water and pull a doubled strip of shop rag back and forth over it like polishing a shoe. My scope is black (naturally black).

Quick Reply: scope cover/ protector

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.