Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scope cover/ protector

Old 03-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: scope cover/ protector

yeoman

Look carefully at the smoked bottom of my scope setup... you can see that it has taken a bunch of heat.... Not all inlines have this problem but the ones that do you do really want to protect the finish. If you were just hunting probably would not be to much ofa problem but when shooting shot after shot @ a range or target practice it could add up quickly...
Old 03-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just use a piece of neoprene from a glove I had(cut to fit), cut slits to fit over the turrents and done. Set of tie wraps can be added when hunting but on the range the slit held it true and in place plus it allows for easy adjustment.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Not all inlines have this problem but the ones that do you do really want to protect the finish
Sabotloader - so it is primarily an in line problem. I get blackening but no indication of heat problem. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

yeoman,
Only the rifles with a cut out in the reciever where the gases can come up and hit the scope. It also takes theanodizingoff the aluminum tube unless protected.
I too went to electrical tape but I used wet suit material before too. It just collects moisture so I quit doing that.
I like the rubber hose idea too!
SHills
Old 03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use those bear tooth covers for several reasons. it breaks up the gun with a little camo. gets rid of that leupold gloss black shine. leupold charges more for the flat black scopes and protects from sun bleaching and scratches. i could sell my old scopes for near new.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Many inline rifles will leave a fowling from the ignition of the primer and the back pressure of the breech. Some scopes actually have the finish burn off if they are not protected. As for cleaning, I take the scope off with quick release mounts, soap and water with a toothbrush and it is nice and clean. If you protect the bottom of the scope there is less chance that it will damage the finish.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use clear 3 M duck tape on mine. Although I am going to switch to some hose after seeing UC's set up.

Al
Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 AM

Thanks everyone for your ideas ,I am sure one of them will work for me.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

How about a piece of buckskin with holes cut for the turrets laced on with a leather thog[shoelace]?Thicker leather could be used for better durability or place ainsert liner[non-flammable]under the leather bottom as a heat shield?It would look a little more rustic.[no offence]...Harold
Old 03-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't been shooting it long, but I haven't noticed any blow back from my optima pro. Now the other end! I was shooting over my atv seat and later noticed a gray film on my atv rack. Kind of hard to get off, but it came off.

Quick Reply: scope cover/ protector

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.