Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Early Renegade barrels...........

Old 03-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Early Renegade barrels...........

I know that is why I clearly stated that you were not involved. It is something new the past couple of years I noticed with writers and hunters the way they advertise without stating they have a stake in the product they slam or praise. They write like it is just an informative statement without discloser.

I also agree with the previous poster that a sabot wedged into a barrel could prove to be an obstruction and cause the barrel to fail but that would not be a properly loaded weapon.

SHills, What is the date that artical first came out? I do not remember RW having dealings with White of late. He gave them praise (well deserved) years ago but don't recall him stating that T/C's would fail back then.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

PBH,
If you follow the link I provided you can read all the articles written by Wakeman and a few others. I don't think he said anything about TC but an earlier poster said Douglas made barrels for TC. I provided the article by RW about their barrels since I own a custom rifle w/ one. I was surprised to learn that info myself. Like you I would think it very improbable to burst a rifled barrel but I would hate to have a breech plug or nipple hit in the noggin!
SHills

Old 03-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

SHills

I am going to jump in a bit, hope not to cause any problems.... but I do not think "all" Douglas barrels are/were extruded - it was a process they were developing. Extruded barrels have come along way since the beginning as does anything.

RW's slam/comment MAY have been in requards to the Remington Model 700 ML, which he reviewed and really took it to town, and then when Remington would not give in to his wishes, the battle even got a little brutal. He once posted a history of the whole event and in a lot of ways it did come down to$. Anyway the barrels on the Remington's are Douglas - they were not extruded - but they were Douglas so he expanded the commenting to include extruded barrels by Douglas. The biggest problem with extruded barrels at that time and maybe even today is/was the bore was not equal in diameter the whole distance.... Now shooting sabots that is really not a huge problem, but shooting a full bore projectile it would be a big problem. Another reason extruded barrels by Douglas were limited to ML barrels.

Just some thoughts...
Old 03-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader,
If you go back to the linkI provided it was doc white who said douglas barrels were extruded. No hint was mentioned about remington UNLESS the articlewas incomplete...
Never knew that about remington ml barrels!
That was howI read it.
Thanks, SHills