Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T.C . QLA system.......

Old 02-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default T.C . QLA system.......

After talking to Fox Ridge Outfitters in reguards to a new .54 Renegade barrelI found all the new barrels have this feature.[QLA]According to Precision Gun Works ,they remove a lot of them as they are out of square and throw off the accuracy.Any truth to this?In my mind a countersunk crown finished target style doesn't belong on a gun loaded from the muzzle end?Would appreciate any feedback pro or con.......experiences etc.Would also be HELL to load roundballs you would think? Thanx Harold
Old 02-28-2007, 03:10 PM

Default RE: T.C . QLA system.......

Never had a hardtime loading PRB with a QLA.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Frontier Gander,What was the accuracy like with conicals and patch+ball compared to traditional crowned barrels?What loads would you recommend for RB in a .54 Renegade 1-48 twist and .530 or .535 dia.balls?Fox also makes a 1-66 barrel for the .54.Thanx Harold
Old 02-28-2007, 04:00 PM

I was shooting 40 grains pyrodex rs with .15 patch and .490 roundball. i just wanted to see how it would do with its 1:28 twist. Did great. My old tc renegade didnt have the qla but i used 90 grains RS with patched roundball and it was accurate with that load. For you, i'd probably start off with 70 grains powder, .530 PRB. Start off at 25 yards and once you back out to, lets say 75 and you notice the ball impacting lower, add 5- 10 more grains of powder to see if it raises it up any. I always adjust my powder loads before i touch my sights. my flintlock with 1:66 twist loves eating 110 grains fffg goex and PRB.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pioneer2

Gotta agree with one of your assumptions... loading a PRB in a QLA is not the best thing in the world... but,

Not all QLA's cause accuracy problems with conicals - some certainly do but not all... You will need to shoot the barrel and find out. My hunting partner has a 54 Hawken with a QLA and his seems to shoot just fine, but other do not.

If you are thinking of buying a new barrel - get a Green Mountain IBS they do not have a QLA.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

I guess all trial and error costs$.The Green Mt.aren't drop in fits as advertised and have 1-28 twist that may or may not $$$$ stabilize conicles ie:.54 Maxi-ball and Lyman .54 great Plains.No interest in Sabots in a traditional Muzzleloader.Why doesn't someone make a 1-32 twist and call it a day! Too easy I supose.........Harold
Old 02-28-2007, 04:41 PM

cva mountain stalker in .50 comes with a 1:32 twist.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pioneer2

What are you trying to drop in to?

White rifles use a 1/24 twist and are the best conical shooters you can find. I live in Idaho so under the ML rules I have to awitch to conicals and I am shooting them from a 1/28 - they shoot great - in fact that is why I got the 1/28... that and sabots...

I have posted this before but I post it again - I am in the process of working up a conical load for what I cal my "alternative white" a TC hawken with a GM drop in...

They will drop in a Renegade also - there is a slight bit of work because the undder rib is a bit long but an easy problem to fix. I have a drop installed in one of my Renegades and Cayugad has done the same thing.

I also have a pic of a drop-in - in a Renegade stock - I dodoed mine in Cayugad cut his under rib if you would be interested in seeing let me know. Cabelas has them in the 2007 Shooting catalog for $189 - both 15/16's and 1"

mike

Old 02-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

QLA seems to get the blame for a lot of accuracy issues people have. I think of lot of that could be fixed with load development. Granted, there will be cases that the QLA is the accuracy bandit, but most the time what they really need is more range time and a little more looking into different projectiles and powders. I have a couple rifles with QLA and there is not a bad shooter in the bunch. So I must have just got lucky.

As for loading a patched ball with QLA ... try cutting your patch at the muzzle instead of the pre cut patches. I actually think this would work real good. I shoot a Hawkins .50 with a QLA and cut my own patches and have never had a problem loading.. just my .02 cents.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pioneer2

Here is the pic of the drop in - in a Renegade...

You can see in the right hand pic how dadoed the under rib into the stock...

Quick Reply: T.C . QLA system.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.