Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

On the ability of the 295 PB to penetrate

Old 02-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: On the ability of the 295 PB to penetrate

ORIGINAL: ahankster
Try 150 grains and the exploding bullet trick is almost a guarantee.
Hank
Agree with you. I think that is what is happening also, at least that happen to me and my brother. I think there are a lot of hunters that don't know this however. Chap Gleason
Old 02-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

That bit about round balls being a crippler is not true. I have taken over 40 deer with a 535 PRB and as a rule they went down faster than sabot loads or even some HP rifles. A large part of the time when deer is crippled it is from being shoot in the wrong place that is ALWAYS the hunters fault. The only deer shot with a PRB that we lost fell on somebode elses property right in front of them and they tagged it and the Game Warden said thats their deer so we could not do anything about it. Lee

I think the 535g of lead had a lot to do with it. If I recall a regular PRB is 147g, so what are you shooting a .62? Chap Gleason
Old 02-26-2007, 11:47 AM

Sorry but ive used 150 grains of powder with the 295 aero tip and got complete pass through and the deer only rolled 4 feet before coming to a stop. Ive shot the 245 hollow points with 120 grains and 150 grains loose RS. Shot placement i believe is whats important. And roundballs are VERY effective! Look at my avatar picture.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:50 AM

I think the 535g of lead had a lot to do with it. If I recall a regular PRB is 147g, so what are you shooting a .62? Chap Gleason
[/quote]

535 PRB = .535 diameter. Which is .54cal i think? I only shoot .50's so im a little lost after that.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

Charges for all lead HOLLOWPOINT should be chosen so that the expected impact velocities will be below 1300 fps, though below 1200 fps is ideal.
Humm... I don't recall you ever stating this. That is a good figure to remember concerning this bullet. Thanks Chap
Old 02-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

535 PRB = .535 diameter. Which is .54cal i think? I only shoot .50's so im a little lost after that.
[/quote]

I think you're right. A .54 caliber will normally shoot either a .530 grain at 224 grain or a .535 grain at approximately 230 grain. A .570 (.58 caliber)weighs 284 (as I remember) and the .62 caliber is 324 grain in weight.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Charges for all lead HOLLOWPOINT should be chosen so that the expected impact velocities will be below 1300 fps, though below 1200 fps is ideal.
Humm... I don't recall you ever stating this. That is a good figure to remember concerning this bullet. Thanks Chap
Chap,

If you review your email and pm's, I think you will find where I explained the hollowpoint index in the spreadsheet. I am pretty sure I discussed velocities and pass through performance with 295 PB's

If you review our pm discussions you will also find my thoughts about wounding and penetration. Particularly that both are important aspects of terminal performance and that to get more of one, one must sacrifice the other. For example, if one desires a littlemore penetration he givesa little inwound size. If he wants a little larger wound, he gives up a little in penetration. The key is balance. One wants sufficient penetration to wound deeply in the game, but he also doesn't want to waste alot of retained energy in an exiting bullet.

As far the sniperparidise article, I see how very little his hard cast bullet expanded and i don't get very excited. I have shot hard cast bullets in the form maxisself casted with dental xray lead. They get great penetration passing right through, but the wound is small relative to a 385 GP just blasts them. I saw the 610 white bullet in the artical. Awesome wound pattern in the clay but the author diminuates it as less than desirable penetration. That bullet would go right through a bison's vitals, IMO, better thanthe nosler.

It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer a bullet that expands and creates a larger wound channel. So when I see the mushroomed 405 black belt, I'm thinking, "Oh yeah !!! Awesome!!! Big wound channel, lower exit energy", and when I see his poorly expanded hard cast bullet I am thinking, "Small wound channel, high exit energy".

I told you this before. Take a all lead projectile, (PB, GP conical, BS conical, or a patched round ball), for a given energy, at a velocity ideal for the projectile, and it will OUTPERFORM a jacketed bullet of equivalent impact energy. I am totally convinced of this.

Likewise, take an all lead projectile and cause it to impact at velocities greater than ideal for its design, and one could be dissipointed in the performance.

Frankly, I firmly believe anything I can stuff down my muzzleloaders can cleanly take game. I just need to know I can put it where it can damage its lungs and/or heart and I will get the results I am hoping for. A downed deer and full freezer .

Old 02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

gleason.chapman, the .535 is the ball dia. for my 54 cal. hawken. While I have had most calibers the 54 is by far my favorite for both trajectory and knock down. Lee
Old 02-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a all lead projectile, (PB, GP conical, BS conical, or a patched round ball), for a given energy, at a velocity ideal for the projectile, and it will OUTPERFORM a jacketed bullet of equivalent impact energy. I am totally convinced of this.
Phil,
How did you reach that conclusion? When you say OUTPERFORM, what do you mean terminal performance? Penetration? Expansion? I believe the best bullet is a pass thru (so there is an exit wound, large hole) with controlled expansion. Maybe it is as you say a matter of personal preference. I agree with you on this statement:

Likewise, take an all lead projectile and cause it to impact at velocities greater than ideal for its design, and one could be dissipointed in the performance.

Chap

Old 02-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

"The facts speak for themselves. From any ballistic performance standpoint, Powerbelts make Hornady XTPs and Barnes MZ-Expanders in MMP sabots look like God's gift to muzzleloading. The day of the deer-crippling round ball has come and gone. Now, with the advent of Triple 7 and other high-energy propellants, the dismal trajectories of conicals means that their days as popular hunting projectiles are probably numbered. "

Tell that to states, such as Colorado, that only allow conicals. I would be extremely surprised if they were to make a change in that policies (conicals only) anytime soon or not so soon. I think "primative weapon" seasons were allowed to progress to a point, but doubt these states will go much further. And places like Idaho have gone the other way.

Therefore, we are left with finding a conical that shoots well and performs well. The more I learn, and I do learn something almost every day on places like this forum, the more I believe that Pglasgow has hit the nail on the head. Magnum charges are for modern projectiles, and bullets like powerbelts perform the best at lower velocities. Goes agains the grain for those that like to push the envelope (150 plus yards), but for me and my open sight gun, it does me just fine.

Quick Reply: On the ability of the 295 PB to penetrate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.