Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting ranges and costs

Old 02-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shooting ranges and costs

Describe the facility where you practice with your ML. It would be interesting to compare what's out there.

I could shoot 200 yds. on my land. In deference to my neighbors, I go to a range to practice. There is no membership. I pay $10, they provide 2-3 targets, hearing protection, a spotting scope, sand bags etc and I can shoot as long as I wish. There are around 20 concrete tables under a covered pavillion. Dirt pile backstops are at 50 yds., 100, 200 and 300. Best of all, they're open 9 am to sundown 364 days a year. Worst of all, it's 1/2 hour away. How about you?
Old 02-18-2007, 08:02 PM

Default RE: Shooting ranges and costs

All of my shooting is done at home in the yard. But recently ive been taking my rifle to the NRA once i get it on sight at home and then off to the NRA with my bro in law to see what it really can do on a solid rest. As for the shooting range cost, its free, i sit in the car while my bro in law uses his member shipcard . Then off to the range and we're both shooting. i just really want to test other bullets, primers and loads out at the NRA to see if i get any differences. I could probably shoot out to 350-400 yards at my house. My house is surrounded on all sides by mountains and no other houses. Unless you count the burnt down one.

ORIGINAL: yeoman

Describe the facility where you practice with your ML. It would be interesting to compare what's out there.

I could shoot 200 yds. on my land. In deference to my neighbors, I go to a range to practice. There is no membership. I pay $10, they provide 2-3 targets, hearing protection, a spotting scope, sand bags etc and I can shoot as long as I wish. There are around 20 concrete tables under a covered pavillion. Dirt pile backstops are at 50 yds., 100, 200 and 300. Best of all, they're open 9 am to sundown 364 days a year. Worst of all, it's 1/2 hour away. How about you?
Old 02-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot at my house 90% of the time. I have a 122 yard range, but this spring will try and move that back another 30 yards. Anything that gets out of my steel bullet trap simply goes out into the middle of my marsh if it can make it through all the trees. Right now because of winter I am limited to 100 yards, and most of the time I shoot at the 50 yard station as that's where the shooting bench is frozen to the ground at.

When the livestock is in, I can go to the other farm about seven miles awayand shoot across the hay field into the swamp and can get out to over 200 yards there. Its a lot of rolling hills and the horses and mules don't like the noise, but that's tuff.

Or I can go to this other property my brother and I have, (just a 40 acre that we got a deal on) and shoot into thickets or into a large dirt pile (the dirt pile is an old house that stood on the property that was bulldozed over and pushed out of the way) That is three miles away from my house. There is a nice little cabin built there so I can get out of the weather into a heated house, and when its nice I can sit on the deck and shoot off the picnic table there.

I can also drive 40 miles and go to a private range that charges $10-$12 dollars and they have 50, 100. 150. & 200 yard range. The trouble is you have to make reservations. The person there has a sporting goods shop and sells me most of my optics, so he usually cuts me a deal.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot at a military range that is open to privately owned weapons everyday except about 2 days a month. I can sign in one guest to shoot with me. Range Control provides us with a target board and target stands to staple our own targets to. They have shooting tables, sand bags, cleaning tables, roof over head, and we can shoot out to well over 200 yards. It is free after a training class and you obtain a Range Safety Card which is a free class provided to us. It is NEVER crowded. My Dad and I had it to ourselves for over 3 hours today.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The shooting club range I'm a member of is open every day unless a pre arranged event is going on. We have backstopsat 7, 15, 25, 50, 75, 100 and 200 yards. The cost up till this year was $60 but was raised to $90 this year for some major range improvements including more shooting lanes and berms between the shorter pistol lanes and the longer rifle lanes. It's about 12 miles from my house but takes about 20 to 25 min to get there due to the gravel and dirt roads for half the trip.

I use to shoot at the public range but found it cheaper to join the club since the public range is 45 miles away and cost $6 to $7 to shoot. They are open Wed. through Sun. and I work Wed. through Sat. so the times don't work for me. Between the cost to shoot and the cost of gas it made more sense to join the club.

A friend of mine is a member of a club across town that costs around $100 or so per year and has a much larger membership than the club I'm a member of. They have separate archery, pistol, rifle and recently added a 1000 yard competition type range (I'd love to get a chance to shoot on that one). The rifle range has ranges out to 300 yards. The location is too far for me to join that one so I just go out there when I can with my friend.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot at a place that has a short range ( 5-25 yds) and a long range (100yds). Its 25 minutes away and costs 10 bucks to shoot all day. They also have a skeet range and a skeet course. Recently they've been adding "improvements" by adding higher berms and shooting lane "buffers "( basically a 55 gallon drum attached to the shooting bench that you have to shoot through at the 100 yd range) because of complaints from nearby encroaching liberals who've complained about their houses being in danger. That range has been there forever and folks have only just started building near it, and now they realize, hey those are real guns (gasp).
The closest range after that is another 15 minutes away.
I need to move up and be Cayugads neighbor.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot at home, ya it is only a 100yd. range which maybe I could squeeze another 30 yds if I worked at it. I don't give a rip about the neighbour as we hear that woman just about every day yelling at a horse, husband, daughter or dog unnearving.There is also a old fence linewith trees and bushes to cut down the noise.
There is a state land range about ten miles away. Have to have a state park permit (I think $25.00) and pay a (Last time I was there $3.00 day use fee) I was told that was to pay for the range officer there when they are open and that isn't always when theinformation board says.
You could go shoot there now with out to much trouble if (1. The range officer would be theredue to the cold.
There is a range at Wiliams gun sight $5.00 fee,a bit of a drive to get there carry all your shooting equpment thru the store to the range access door a hassle.
There are also a few sportsman clubs where you can shoot at a range if they are not having some thing special going on. I like my back yard best and will shoot there till they pass some type of law agin it. Then I'll move to the cabin and sell this place to a yuppy with a bunch of pampered horses.

Al
Old 02-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

WE HAVE A CLUB HERE $70 ANNUAL]WITH SHOT GUN, RIFLE, AND PISTOL RANGES MAX ON THE RIFLE RANGE IS 240.
i HAVE A PLACE 3 MILES OUT OF TOWN WITH A 150 YD FOR GUN AND A SET OF TARGET BACK STOPS DUG INTO THE BOTTOM OF A HILL ALONG THE CREEK FOR CROSSBOW.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot at Busch Wildlife's gun range and it's $3.00/hr to shoot, they provide targets. The downside is your shooting with all kinds of guns and i usually get in5 or6 shots per every 15 minutes before everyone checks their targets every 15 minutes. I usually am there 4 hours or so shooting different bullets, powders, etc. The range shootsfrom 7to 100 yards. It is a controlled range with police officers and wildlife agents which is safe to shoot at. Good fun anyhow.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The sportsmans club Ibelong to is down by my inlaws. Covered pistol range, bow range, 2 trap, 2 skeet fields, 1 rifle range with berms at 25,50,100 and 150 yds, and another rifle range covered with a roof with berms at 25, 50 ,100, etc out to 500 yds. Also a small fishing lake. They host cowboy action shoots, and some NRA shoots many times a year. $45 per year, members have the combination to the lock on the fence and you can shoot anytime.

Quick Reply: Shooting ranges and costs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.