Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting ranges and costs

Old 02-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting ranges and costs

Sounds like the bow club I belong to. Fixed distance range and a walking course. $25 a year and a lock on the gate that members have the combo to.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: yeoman

Describe the facility where you practice with your ML. It would be interesting to compare what's out there.

I could shoot 200 yds. on my land. In deference to my neighbors, I go to a range to practice. There is no membership. I pay $10, they provide 2-3 targets, hearing protection, a spotting scope, sand bags etc and I can shoot as long as I wish. There are around 20 concrete tables under a covered pavillion. Dirt pile backstops are at 50 yds., 100, 200 and 300. Best of all, they're open 9 am to sundown 364 days a year. Worst of all, it's 1/2 hour away. How about you?
I joined Issiac Walton last year and they have a shooting range on their property, however only used it a few times. Now I just drive up to a place I have to hunt about 5 miles from my house and shoot off my tailgate. Works fine to 100 yards, I don't like all the people at Issiac Walton,and it was very costly, over $200/year to join. Also felt that Issiac Walton was partnering with some organizations that I didn't quite agree with. So I just put up a box with a target staped to it and shoot into a bank in the woods where I have permission to hunt.
Chap Gleason VA
Old 02-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Prior to moving to NY 7 yrs ago I was a member of the Spaceport Gun Club, Merrit Island, FLfor 10 yrs. It has since shut down. $25.00/yr.Great Club w/redfish tailing and camping beside Karr's park w/the rocket ranch in the background!
Currently I am a life member @ one of the oldest if not the oldest skeet/trap club in Rochester. The Outlet Rod and Gun Club. This club started over 60 yrs ago where Irondequoit bay drains into Lake Ontario. Used to be $50.00 per yr. Now $75.00. Been there 7 yrs. Shotgun only.
Been a member @ a the Willamson Conservation Club about 40-45 mintes away for the past 2 yrs.. This club cut down many many trees and charges 55.00/yr. They have a pistol, and a rifle range of 100 meters, w/ a NRA approved baffle system to prevent rounds from leaving the range. In additionthey haveskeet, wobble skeet, and sporting clays. You must work 16 hrs per season or incur a 25.00 penalty. You can not bring a guest more than 3x legally before they become a member. I did not renew.
In addition there are @ least6 other rifle/shotgun ranges locally around the Rochester area. Prices run from $60- 250.00./yr The highest price has an indoor pistol range and all have club houses. Some are just too far away. I'm looking @ a range w/all desciplines for $60.00/ yr and has a 100 yr range. I have a placeI can shoot up to 400 yrds once in a while w/ freinds.
Like many of you I just like to shoot and will soon again. I would like to test some bullets up to 150-200yrds but I just don't want to spend that much per yr.
NY have some very strict firearm laws. No more than 10 rd mags for civilians and officers. An officer have a non issued firearmmust have a letter from a Chief to carry hicaps. Any thing preban is OK. To touch a pistol or shoot you must posses a concealed pistol permit. To get one it must be for self defense, hunting, or target shooting. NY adopted the ban which sunseted and in NY you can not have more than 3 strikes against a weapon and posses it legally. It it can accept hicaps, strike one, if it has a pistol grip strike two, and it it has a bayonet lug that is strike 3. So slider stocks, hicaps unless preban is OUT. CA can not have any firearn w/a pistol grip what is semi auto. Many states have restrictions. FL does not require a permit unless you want to hide the firearm.I have a problem w/ the logic adopted here in unless you want to conceal.
May all your targets be in the x ring and your kills drop on the spot!
SHills

Old 02-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

An SWF ($40)& LB range ($30)member(Sask Wildlife Federation) $70/year. The long bore membership entitles me to use the range facility which has contrete shooting benchs(covered and uncovered), 0-200 yards, targets and gate access card.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 AM

i shoot at a military range neat home.It is limited to 100 yards. Also have a bench and butts set up at our property. We can shoot to 200 yards there. Unfortunately, it is 70 miles from home.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 PM

the place i practice all my shooting at has multiple ranges for different types of firearms. the ml and rifle range is the same, though. it only goes out 100 yards but it has a couple of covered benches and unlimited usage for a year is 50 bucks. they don't provide any materials other than some plywood to staple your target to, though. at least they're out there at premeasured distances of 25, 50, and 100 yards.

shoot, just check out the site: http://www.whitetailridge.com
Old 02-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

There are two local ranges here ive used: 1) Indoor - $35/yr - max shot is 25yds. Its great for the initial sight in or if its blasted hot/cold/windy/raining/etc. The owner will let you shoot whatever gun you want just no fmj ammo. With black powder, it gets kind of smokey but flip on the air vents and its gone pretty quick. He is also a master gunsmith and gives a cut rate on members. You get 1target free on each trip and extras are pretty cheap. Membership not required. (2) Private club - $35/yr - Members only. Getting one is a pita. range out to 600yds w/ metal targets or bring your own. Covered shooting benches.