Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman GPH fit and finish

Old 02-12-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Lyman GPH fit and finish

Boy. . .looked at 3 different Lyman GPH this weekend and I must admit I must be expecting too much. . . .All three will require full tear down to finish sanding the stocks. One had a nice chunk missing on the but where it marries to the but plate. Another had issues with a clean fit around the trigger, and the third wasn't what I wanted either. . . .Looks like I need to keep looking until I get one made before lunch. The staffwould not allow me to swap stocks etc. [:@]

Is this the norm. . .is this all I should expect from a weapon in this price range? Never noticed this with stuff when buying cartridge guns, such as my Remington, Browning and Winchester Hunting rifles. Did have to get a new trigger for the Remington but that has been about it.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lyman GPH fit and finish

I don't have a GPH but a Trade Rifle. I ordered mine sight unseen from an online store. My only complaint was the finish on the riflelacked a little to be disired. So I lightly sanded it a little rubbed in some boiled linseed oil and later waxed it and it is beautiful now. The single trigger on the rifle is exceptional and the hardware to stock fit is perfect. No complaints. Oh.. and the thimble rib screws fell out. Lyman sent me new ones and these new ones are lock tight installed.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

My Trade Rifle is about the same as what Dave described. The stock finish is dull and would require some work if a nice appearance is desired. As far as fit I have no complaints, I have not shot the rifle a lot yet so I can not comment on overall performance but initially it is about what I expected for a production gun. The stock fit was a little tight and I was concerned that I might crack it attempting to install the barrel. I had to use a lot of caution.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:37 AM

Another complaint i see often is the finish on the barrel rubbing off easily. If i were you and really had my eyes set on one of these, i'd buy a kit and do it the right way. If not, Just take your time and shop around for something you're happy with.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

I have read many post on the GPR seem there metal and wood fit are going down the tube.
I had one some time back in percussion shot excellent but the hammer was so far off had to do a little bending to hit right.The stock finish was ruff,wedge pins fell out and for me a little too long on the barrel for hunting all day walking,I like my t/c and don't hear them old wife tales 1 in 48 twist won't shoot mine are tack driver using heavy charges of 3F and round ball and patch