Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

IN-Line user's ?

Old 12-06-2002, 04:21 AM

Default IN-Line user's ?

I my self have never used a inline or even checked them out I use a old flintlock Hawkin's that was handed down to me my question to all is what is it that make's the inline's illegal to use in certain states it load's the same and take's the same equipment that a cap and ball takes or does it require using a primer like for a rifle shell there fore making it a center fire,and even then I dont see why they wouldn't allow them they load the same I know with the new design's maybe you can shoot further but heck if a guy know's his gun and windage and elevation.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: IN-Line user's ?

What makes inlines illegal to use in certain states is the fact that there's a law against using them! But seriously, some people think they are too modern because they don't LOOK like your ol' flintlock! Inlines also load from the muzzle, so there is absolutely no advantage to them at all, since a sidelock can be made to handle heavy charges just as well as an inline, and it is easy to mount a scope on an octagon barrel!! A sidelock shooting Power Belts with a heavy charge and having a scope sight is effective at as long a range as any inline!! Up until this year, scopes were not permitted on ML rifles during the ML season in NY, so if you used an inline, you had to use the same kind of iron sights on any kind of ML-where's the advantage??

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 12-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Eldeguello in that there are no significant advantages or disadvantages to either sidelock or inline guns. I think much of the percieved "advantages" of an inline can be traced to manufacturer hype. They both load from the front, they both have about the same power level, they both are just as accurate.

Any real advantages to either design is, to me, mostly just a personal or practical thing. I prefer an inline because I like a more modern rifle stock because it fits better and I'm more accurate with it. I also like the easy handling of the 209 primers and DISC's. I also like the fact that the action is closed and fairly weather resistant, so I don't have to mess with seran wrapping the cap to the nipple to make sure it doesn't get wet and doesn't fall off.

I say use whatever style you're most comfortable with, as they all kill deer just as well.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 12-11-2002, 04:33 AM

Thank-e-kindly and I agree driftrider with the weather part if it get's bad out my ol flintlock throw's a fit but I made a leather guard sewen on to my sling when it get's bad out I flip it over work's good,the sling is there for look's anyway's so it dont bother me to have the piece there