Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Generally speaking..

Old 02-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default Generally speaking..

As my posts indicate, I've settled on the 270gr Sabertooth pushed by 90 RS for my current "go to" load. I've tried the 300's with the same 70,80,90 charges I've used with the 270's and they just don't group anywhere near as well. My question is this:
Once you find a good powder/bullet weight combination, if you use the same bullet in heavier weight, does your gun more often prefer more or less powder with the heavier bullet? I know, I know, results may vary. But if you were in a life and death situation, would you opt for more or less powder, when all you had left was a heavier bullet? Your answers may differ with sabots, roundballs and conicals?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Generally speaking..

That depends on what I am hunting. There will come a point where increasing powder just does not seem to increase accuracy at all. Many times with larger conicals I find a lighter powder charge produces not only better accuracy, but less recoil which is a plus. Remember, some of the big conicals have such a large energy value to them, they are still going to do massive damage.

Since you have a go to load. You are now free to play and experiment with about any kind of load you like. This is when I go nuts and try anything I can shove down them. It might surprise you what you will discover about your rifle.

Good luck with the gun. I like them saber tooth as well. They seem to shoot well. From what I have READ, they work real good on the taking game department.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Generally speaking..

Since it is a life or death thing, I would use the same powder charge and wait till I saw the whites of their eyes tosqueeze the trigger.

Al