Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ballister for traditions .50 cal

Old 02-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ballister for traditions .50 cal

I've had a traditions deerhunter muzzel loader for the past 20 years (old school is hard to give up). This past season the nipple blew out of the ballister (the threds just worn out). I've since bought an inline but the memories of all the deer I've taken with that old firearm are hard to give up. Even though the inline is fine, I would still like to get my old gun working again. I've seen a couple of gunsmiths but their cost was more than the new inline. Is it possible to buy a ballister somewhere? I've checked with Traditions and they no longer produce ballisters for this gun. Any ideas?????
Old 02-08-2007, 09:11 PM

Default RE: ballister for traditions .50 cal

try dixie gun works.

How much did the gunsmiths want? my step bro had his replaced on his cva bobcat when he cross threaded the nipple. Even if its still fairly expensive, why not just get it replaced and make more enjoyable memories? Kinda like restoring your old car, it will cost you 4 times the money you paid but it will bring back memories and create even more.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

I believe Trak of The Wolf also has them and gun smithing flat rates as well. They have set rates for certain work and replacing ballisters I believe is one of them. You need to send the whole rifle so they can line the hammer up right or just buy the part and do it yourself.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the infoguys. The gun smith quoted $300, stating he would have to make the ballister from scratch. 2 problems...not many gun smiths around here and too many strings sending the gun from Canada to the U.S. . I will give Dixie a look but could you send me more info on Trak of the Wolf please. Thanks for getting back with the ideas.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:28 PM

Did he take you out to dinner and blow in your ear before he gave you that quote?.. $300 my eye! You could helicoil it. Thats where you take a drill bit and drill it out slightly bigger and then tap it and screw in the new attatchment. It will hold for a long long long time. Guys running the 3.8 turbo buick v6's and push over 500 horse power. A guy i know has had his helicoiled mains done for 12 years now with zero problems. I'll be doing it on my 350 buick block soon. stock 1/2" mainstud holes VS 9/16"helicoil = stronger.
Give the helicoil a look. You can pick it up at most car part stores.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

I've had a traditions deerhunter muzzel loader for the past 20 years (old school is hard to give up). This past season the nipple blew out of the ballister (the threds just worn out). I've since bought an inline but the memories of all the deer I've taken with that old firearm are hard to give up. Even though the inline is fine, I would still like to get my old gun working again. I've seen a couple of gunsmiths but their cost was more than the new inline. Is it possible to buy a ballister somewhere? I've checked with Traditions and they no longer produce ballisters for this gun. Any ideas?????
Yes, I have some ideas! First of all, are the threads in the drum's nipple hole damaged, or just the threads on the old nipple? If the threads in the drumare not damaged, you can merely clean the threads, then replace the nipple with a new one.

If the threads in the drum/bolster holeare damaged, you will have to recut threads to a larger size. IF your rifle uses a 6mm nipple, the diameter is .236". If it is a 6.3mm nipple, it is .248" You should be able to clean up either of these sizes with a 1/4X28 (.250"X28) tap, which is the standard American rifle-nipple size.Dixie Gun Works sells "oversize" nipples in increasing diameters for use in oversize holes or holes where the original threads are damaged, and one of these would work, if 1/4X28 is too small to recut the old threads. The way these oversize nipples work is you screw them in with the nipple wrench. The old threads act as a guide, and the act of screwing in the oversize nipple recuts the threads to that new size.

You can also buy a bottoming tap for thesize of nipple threads you will need and recut the threads in the drum, then install a new nipple that has the larger size thread.

This job is real simple to do, but if you don't want to do it yourself, consult with a local gunsmith who will re-thread the drum for you. Even if you have to buy the tap for him to use, you canget a tap for $10.00 or less, and it would not take even an hour's labor by the gunsmith to re-tap the hole. So I'd say you could get the job done for no more than $20.00, if you furnish the tap and the new nipple. (Always use your nipple wrench and make sure your nipples are screwed in tight before you shoot! I've got two caplock rifles thatI got in 1968, and I have never had a nipplew blow out of its hole! I replacemy nipples every 100 shots or so, but that might not even be necessary. I like to hunt with a new nipple that I'm sure will work.....)

You can buy the tap, plus oversize nipples, from Dixie Gun Works, Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica Longrifles, or a number of other suppliers. You can look at all of these online & see what you need.

Another option, which amy or may not be viable, is to send JUST THE BARREL back to Traditions for repair. Have you talked to anyone at Traditions?? http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/ Traditions Firearms 1375 Boston Post Road P.O. Box 776 Old Saybrook, CT 06475
Tel. 860-388-4656 | Fax. 860-388-4657 | Email: [email protected]

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?s=1&keywords=Nipple

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(05xycxm21nxb3inhxkdqjifd))/categories/catList.aspx?catID=15

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/

Keep us informed of your progress......
Old 02-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Track of the Wolf parts link:

[link]http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(ti1h1fiyvfkbelq1qxlfnbu5))/categories/catList.aspx?catID=14[/link]
Old 02-10-2007, 10:36 PM

Im not sure what size your barrel uses but most of these start at $2.50

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(bib4yi55wo0ude55fulmwr45))/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=171&styleID= 787