Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Slick Silver Buffalo Bullets

Old 02-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Spike

Default Slick Silver Buffalo Bullets

Hello everyone, new to posting here, but have been reading for awhile and enjoy the info that you folks can provide.

I was looking at the Cabelas website and they have something called Slick Silver Buffalo Bullets in 385 gr and Slick Silver Buffalo Ballets in 245 gr. It says the Slick Silver is a dry lubricant. I guess this is to replace the grease lube. Does anyone know anything about these or have you used them? I assume they are the same as the grease lubed Buffalo Bullets and Ballets.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Slick Silver Buffalo Bullets

I've shot the 245 grain ball-ets. I I have a case of the 385 grains Buffalo Bullets without the fancy lube on them. I have not had a lot of luck finding the right powder combination and rifle yet with the 385 grain Buffalo Bullet Conicals. I will, its just a matter of time. Or I will melt the rest of them down into some kind of bullet I can use.

As for the ballets they shoot all right in 1-48 twist rifles. I shoot them out of my Hawkins. If I shoot an inline, and I want to shoot a ball-et I might suggest the 270 grain ball-et it. Its a little longer and seems to stabalize better in the faster twist rifles. Actually in the Knight Rifle they shoot real well.

Lubes are lubes. Everyone has a bigger better one then the next. That stuff on a ball-et is down right sticky in the past,so maybe this is their new lube to get away from the old gummy stuff.

Let us know what kind of rifle you have and what you want to do with it and I am sure there is someone that can give you some suggestions as to what might work real good in it.. Also, welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Spike

Thanks Cayugad. I have an Encore which shoots the usually mentioned rounds well. I have used 240 XTP and 250 gr SST both in Harvester crush ribs and also the 338 gr Powerbelt. Took a doe withthe Powerbelt this season.

But I just picked up a Firestorm for the late PA season. I've shot the 370 gr maxi hunter, 338 gr Powerbelt, and the 245 gr Ballet with acceptable accuracy. The Powerbelts are way to expensive for any volume of shooting. And yea, the grease on the Ballet is something else, but the price is right. The description of the Slick Silver is what caught my attention.

PRB is the cheapest way to go, but I'm thinking the Ballet being fairly inexpensive has a bit more punch to it. And may be my go to on the Firestorm.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Have you ever taken and tried the Saber Tooth Conicals by Harvester? They are like a Powerbelt in the respect that they have a plastic shot cup under them but the nose design is all different. They come is a number of different weights. I shoot them out of my Knights with real good results, and in many cases they are almost half the price of the Powerbelts. I think you get 15 of them for $8.88. While that is not target ammo, it still makes it more comfortable on the pocket book when you want to work up a load.

I shoot the 270 grain out of my Wolverine and Disc with excellent results. I never tried this new fancy lube they are talking about as I bought ten boxes of ball-ets when they were on sale and still have not shot them off yet.