Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Idaho Muzzleloaders Please Read

Old 02-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Spike

Default Idaho Muzzleloaders Please Read

Everybody that is an Idaho resident needs to call their regional Commisioner and voice your opinion. I just spoke with mine, and he said that they will not officially write the rules until their meeting in March. In the mean time, they are working to clarify what they decided upon. In particular, the requirement for a pivoting ignition, where most in-line muzzleloaders that were previously legal in Idaho would have remained legal without that particular stipulation. In other words, if you have an in-line that has an exposed ignition, it should remain legal. Please, call and voice your opinions. You can find the name and number of your Commissioner on the IDF&G website.

I posted this in the thread below, but maybe more people will read it in a new post.

Here's the link to the website where you can find your Commissioner:

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/abo...on/members.cfm

Old 02-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Idaho Muzzleloaders Please Read

Yoter

I totally agree with what you are proposing. I have voiced my opinion several times and I am trying to get our local trap club involved, most of the 120 members were unaware of the impending changes...

Call and write your local commissioner...

+ take the time to send a general note to the fish& game department @

[email protected]

Old 02-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Yoter

In other words, if you have an in-line that has an exposed ignition, it should remain legal.
So a TC omega, becuse when you pull the hammer back you can see the 209 would be legal, but the Knight Disc would not cause you can't see the disc behind the bolt? Chap Gleason
Old 02-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

gleason.chapman

No, none of the more modern ML are legal under Idaho'sold regs or the new ones...

The Omega family has a closed breech - you can not see nor is thebreech plug exposed to the elelments when it is ready to fire... + 209's are not legal with either set of rules must be cap ignition only...

Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

Hey, you Idaho guys may want to check out the last post by captchee in this thread http://www.huntamerica.com/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=762853&an=0& page=0#762853That is the kind crud that just ticks me off.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Spike

The new rules are posted today on the website. Still pretty confusing. The verbage is below:

Muzzleloader Rules Effective January 2007
Muzzleloader hunt rules require that weapons must:
[ul][*]Use all-lead bullets at least within 10/1,000 (.010) of the bore diameter.[*]Have open sights.[*]Use only loose black powder or loose synthetic black powder.[*]Have an exposed, pivoting hammer, either side-lock or in-line.[*]Have an exposed ignition using only flint, musket caps or percussion caps.[*]Be at least .45 caliber for deer, antelope or mountain lion.[*]Be at least .50 caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat or black bear.[/ul] Muzzleloader weapons that don’t meet these restrictions may be used in 'short range weapon' and 'any weapon' seasons.

Have an exposed, pivoting hammer, either side-lock or in-line.

That line's gonna cause some confusion that they are going to have to clarify! I only know of a few "In-lines" that also have a pivoting hammer. Can't imagine why they would rule all the plunger style in-lines out that meet the exposed ignition requirements.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

Tricky indeed, when I first read the post yesterday I saw the word inline and imedeatly thought GREAT INLINES ARE BACK, then I re-read it and no, plunger style hammers are still verboten. One of the ironies here is there are new flintlock guns on the market that are rated for 150 grains of powder (magnum load) a lot of the #11 primed plunger guns aren't rated for that much powder, like those made by CVA, T/C, Traditions, White, Knight, Gonic, etc.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 PM

I guess the HUGE difference in locktime between a falling hammer and a firing pin will kill that many fewer animals, why don't they outlaw synthetic stocks and stainless instead?