Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

can you scorch paper/canvas if you shoot it at close range?

Old 02-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Default can you scorch paper/canvas if you shoot it at close range?

Being an art student I'm always thinking of new ways to create "art." I don't really think burnt paper would be but the teachers encourage originality so...

If I planned out some type of pattern and shot something at close range would it give me a hole with scorch marks around it?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: can you scorch paper/canvas if you shoot it at close range?

You could stretched a piece of canvas tight in a frame and then shot it with a patched roundball, you'd get the hole. The amount of fire and powder stain would depend on the distance you shot. Too close and the pressure will tear the canvas but I doubt burn it. Maybe smoke it good. Too far and the flame and powder would disperse before it made your art.. It might be fun to try. As for paper, I think anything close it would just tear it up.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:36 PM

Maybe wet the canvas real good with some white colored medium and shoot it up close while it's still wet, think burned and unburned powder sticking to it might give a neat effect
Old 02-06-2007, 03:58 PM

OK, here's an idea. Fill a milk jug full of paint. Maybe try to layer different 4-6 different colors. Put your paper a foot or so behind and above the milk jug. Shoot it with a 12 ga or whatever and see what kind of pattern you can throw on the paper.

I am NOT an artist, so it probably wouldn't work. I'll try to post a picture here of my son shooting a milkjug full of water. Don't know if I can get it to work from here, may have to wait until I get home tonight.

Here goes. Well, it didn't work the first time,, here goes again.

OK, I'll do it tonight.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:11 PM

How cool would it be if there were a way to get each pellet from buckshot a different color....

a long time ago i considered painting with my paintball gun but they fade out after like a day
Old 02-06-2007, 09:36 PM

Well, I am home and here is the picture. Imagine if that were paint instead of water and thrown all over a piece of paper.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 PM

you have pretty good timing to capture that!

do you guys know how to separate different layers of paint in the same container? is it even possible?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

your the artist you should know how to layer paint! lol. actually i have no idea...2 things come to mind..using an oil based paint and a water based paint might work? or..just try to gently fill it with diffrent colors..might swirl and look neat..even a small cup or something would be worth trying..i dont think you need a whole milk jug. you can shot the container with dang near anything. ive shot milk jugs with 50cal maxi balls and it has the same effect as in the pic. i think that would be awesome with paint..if it worked. or another idea. shoot small cups of diffrent colors. might end up with alot of holes..but thats part of the art! lol. maybe set them up in a line so you can hit them all at once or something...man..almost makes me wanna try some painting! lol
Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

You might try a paperthin layer of parifin between layers of paint, but you wiil either have to do it on the spot you are shooting or handle it with a great deal of care,
Also for burning effect try making a wad of torlet paper we used that method for making blanks for parades in the 60's and the powder comes out the muzzle burning and makes a nice long flash . Lee
Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 AM

At close range, the sabot/roundball should leave some scorch marks. The shooting of the paint can sounds a whole lot more intersesting though. I've shot tons of water bottles with shotgun and think it's a ton of fun.

Quick Reply: can you scorch paper/canvas if you shoot it at close range?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.