Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I picked up a Thompson .50 sidelock

Old 02-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I picked up a Thompson .50 sidelock

Well, after careful consideration I picked up a Thompson .50 sidelock smokepole last night. This is an older one with all the brass trimmings, not the tin like the newer ones. But, all of this brass comes at the price of a very heavy gun. I live in Washington State, right next to the Idaho state line and figured that I would not chance it and just went with a traditional gun. I want that extended hunting season, the one where I can hunt until Xmas, so a muzzleloader was a must. I will try and get some pics up later.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I picked up a Thompson .50 sidelock

Those are a fine rifle. I have a couple of them. All good shooters without a doubt. Mine one shoots 90 grains of Goex 2f, or Pyrodex RS with a roundball real well. My other Hawkins shoots 85 grains of Goex 3f and a roundball excellent and with a lot of steam. My Hawkins flintlock like 90 grains of Goex 3f and a round ball to make it purr. I am sure yours will do as well.

Just a little note. To keep the rifle looking brand new, some Brasso will get the brass on them just beautiful if you're willing to put the time into cleaning it.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, I shot the thing today, it is pretty accurate to 50 yards and was hitting the target at 100 yards. One question though, what does the rear trigger do, and how does it do it?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

I would call t/c on monday and ask them to send you a manual on the hawken,there is no charge it will explain how to use the gun and how to adjust the set trigger,also has a loading table for round balls and conical.
let see if I can explain how the set trigger works,with the gun loaded and pointed dowun range pull the first trigger you will here a snap or here it set,when you are ready to shoot the rear trigger is a hair trigger maybe 2 pounds: hope it helps and a manual will explain how to readjust the the rear trigger
Old 02-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: TUK101

Ok, I shot the thing today, it is pretty accurate to 50 yards and was hitting the target at 100 yards. One question though, what does the rear trigger do, and how does it do it?
The rear trigger is the set trigger. Cock the rifle. Point it down range and pull the BACK TRIGGER FIRST. You will hear it click or snap. This takes the tension off the front firing trigger. It basically makes the front trigger a hair trigger. The small screw between the two triggers is how you set the amount of adjustment for the set trigger/rear trigger.

To adjust it (according to my manual) with the rifle on half cock, pull the back trigger or set the set trigger. With it set, carefully turn the adjustment screw CLOCKWISE until the trigger mechanism "snaps" into theunset position. Stop turning the instant this happens. Now turn the adjustment screw COUNTER CLOCKWISE one full turn. Your set trigger should now be properly set. Again, only do this if the set trigger is not adjusted properly.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lonewolf5348

I would call t/c on monday and ask them to send you a manual on the hawken,there is no charge it will explain how to use the gun and how to adjust the set trigger,also has a loading table for round balls and conical.
let see if I can explain how the set trigger works,with the gun loaded and pointed dowun range pull the first trigger you will here a snap or here it set,when you are ready to shoot the rear trigger is a hair trigger maybe 2 pounds: hope it helps and a manual will explain how to readjust the the rear trigger
The TC Manuals are all one line here:
http://www.tcarms.com/manuals/

In fact here is the Side Lock Manual:
http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/Shooting_TC_Side_Lock_Black_Powder_Guns.pdf

Chap Gleason Va
Old 02-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess that I helped myself because after I asked the question I found the T/C website and downloaded the manual and got the trigger all adjusted and figured out how to use it. It will be great for target shooting, but there is no way I will use it hunting, too darned dangerous imho. Shoot, that front trigger has got to be about 10#'s or so though. With the hair trigger set it it probably only 2#"s like you guys said. Anyways, I know that I probably paid too much for the used gun, but I am extremely happy with my purchase after shooting it yesterday and am very excited to take some game with it. By the way, I was using Pyrodex RS with Speer roundball ammo. I played around with 60-100 gr. charges, the 100 gr. shot high at 100 yards, and the 90 gr. was about 5 inches low at 100 yards. of coarse that is only a couple of shots, but it gave me an idea of what to expect. Has anybody used a peep site on thier sidelock? If so, would you recommend it?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Dominant Buck

A little trick for your caplock rifle.

When walking or sitting, and you want to keep the cap nice and dry, take a tire valve stem cover ( auto garages and tire shops have hundred of them laying around and usually are more then glad to save then for you), cock the rifle, place the valve stem cover over the capped nipple and lower the hammer slowlydown onto the cap. The tension in the hammer spring will hold the cover, there in place. Actually on half cock my rifle still holds the stem cover perfect over the cap, but is not putting pressure on it. Then when your ready to shoot, cock the rifle, flick the cap off (some people string a piece of fishing line to the valve stem cap so when they click it off they do not loose it), or tip the rifle slightly to let the cap fall off, and your ready to fire on a nice dry cap. This valve stem cover will keep moisture out of the area, and it acts as a secondary safety, should the rifle's hammer somehow be accidentally tripped or struck while you carry it.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

turk: when shooting a patched ball try using a wad under the patch you may be surprise how much better your groups will get ,I like to go one size up so 54 cal. wad would work o.k.

Quick Reply: I picked up a Thompson .50 sidelock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.