Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ML for Groundhog?

Old 02-02-2007, 12:39 PM

Default ML for Groundhog?

Has anyone ever tried using a ML to hunt for groundhogs? I want to try it just to say I did.I would probably use 100 grs. of T7, but what bullet? My gun likes the SST'S, and hornady XTP's.Are these bullets explosive enough for varmints at longer range, say out to 300 yards?

A big concern of mine is riccochets. Will this be a big problem with a good backstop?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ML for Groundhog?

Yea, ricochets will be a probem. make sure you know what is behide what you are shooting at...

And I have used a muzzleloader for groundhogs....A .40 caliber flintlock, with a 42 inch barrel and 60 grains of fff Goex...Shoots flat out to 100 yards....
Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 PM

Theoretically none of these big bullets are designed to be explosive but they all punch big holes so quick expansion isn't needed. Sounds like fun to me! Just skipping a big chunk of lead across a flat field does sound pretty dangerous as far as ricochets go...
Old 02-02-2007, 04:35 PM

I know this is a ML forum but we shoot a lot of groundhogs with our bows. One thing for sure with the right broadhead they sure have a hard time getting back down the hole. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot 150 200 yds with my 50 cal. it would be a hoot!!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:25 PM

Yeah it's fun. My first muzzleloader kill was a groundhog!

Old 02-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Good News:

This morning I travelled to Pennsylvaina and shot and killed Phoxatonie Phil, the world famous groundhog with a patch and roundball. Don't tell your kids. Here is a photo of my dog eating it as it hung in a tree before I skinned it.

http://www.terrierman.com/sailorpullsondeadghjune06.JPG
Old 02-02-2007, 05:42 PM

Somebody had to get him to quit seeing his shadow somehow....
In Pa. I'm pretty sure you need .40cal or less for small game,though. Them slower slugs would let you hear the 'whump' of that bullet better!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:11 PM

I am going to be limiting my shooting to shots going into the base of a hill. Seems the only way to ensure that slug isn't going anywhere. I still want to limit riccochets though, better safe than sorry. I recently got into shooting at longer ranges and I think it would be cool to plug one at300 with my Omega. To me, that would be a special accopmlishment.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive shot 2 with my TC 50 cal hawken flinter. one was one 10-15yds. a buddy and i was walking through the field to our spot when one stood up 10-15yds away. cracked the hammer back..set the trigger and WHAMMM right though the neck. it was standing facing me. my buddy about died..standing freehand with a flinter. the next one, my first was sitting with the same buddy. im sitting with my flinter on my shooting sticks and one pops up. my buddy says "go ahead ill back you up with the 7mm" BOOM smoke clears..i was like what the heck why didnt you shoot?? hes like its dead!!!! i about died i didnt REALLY expect to kill it. 45yds away broadside..shot it just like a deer through the lungs right where i was aimin. both were killed with 90grs of goex and patch and ball. havent had time to get back out there with it. hard to find fields less than 100yds. the field i killed the 45yd one in is a GOOD field with solid 50yd shootin all the time. stupid me whiped them out with the 3006 before i thought about taking the flinter. the farmer wanted them out of that field though because he was letting cows into it. hopefully more moved in by now..been a couple seasons since i did good over there. i killed about 15 in that little field though..
Old 02-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot a few with a .50 ML while deer hunting. Good practice for judging distances.

Quick Reply: ML for Groundhog?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.