Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hornady sst

Old 01-30-2007, 06:28 PM

Default hornady sst

I hAVE BEEN USING HORNADY SST SLUGS IN MY SHOTGUN FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS & LOVE HOW THEY SHOOT & DO DAMAGE ON DEER , HAS ANYONE USED THEM IN THIER SMOKE POLES & HOW DID THEY SHOOT ,I WOULD ASSUME THEY WOULD REACT THE SAME FROM A ML AS A SHOT GUN AS LONG AS THE FPS WOULD BE ABOUT THE SAME .
Old 01-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hornady sst

Ikilled 3 deer in 1995 with 250 SST over 110 gr 777. Closest shot was 35-40 yds,longest was 135 yds. 2 died in their tracks,one was a 150 yd track.(my fault-missed lungs and hit liver) all pass through no recovered bullets. I find no fault with them.

Charlie
Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used 100 gr T7 (loose), 300 gr SST in my Omega this fall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/HuntAway/106-0658_IMG-2.jpg

He didn't know what hit him. Range about 15 yd, passed through (double lung one rib in two out) and he went about 25 yds.

edit: I find them accurate as the Dead Centers but harder to load in my Omega.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pella hunter

I hAVE BEEN USING HORNADY SST SLUGS IN MY SHOTGUN FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS & LOVE HOW THEY SHOOT & DO DAMAGE ON DEER , HAS ANYONE USED THEM IN THIER SMOKE POLES & HOW DID THEY SHOOT ,I WOULD ASSUME THEY WOULD REACT THE SAME FROM A ML AS A SHOT GUN AS LONG AS THE FPS WOULD BE ABOUT THE SAME .
I have no direct experience with hunting with them, but they load terrible in my guns. Also I have read on other ML forums that they don't expand, they shoot right thru an animal, with a small exit hole so little blood trail. The are excellent flyers and very accurate, if you can get them in your gun. Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also I have read on other ML forums that they don't expand, they shoot right thru an animal, with a small exit hole so little blood trail.
Chap, you won't have that problem with them in the newsavage under smokeless. I have heard some complain of over expansion with the upper velocity loads, though I haven't seen it first hand using standard loads. Great performance from my perspective in 3 deer. Though you may require a different sabot then MMP HPH12's that they come packaged with. I use the MMP HPH 12's much easier to load, plusit reduced the flyers.

I like the SST but think under loads 100grs area and range 150 or under the likes of a hornady XTP or similar is better serving. The cost plus the fact they just palin work are my main reasons. Though if your going to be shootinglonger distancesthe better BC of SST, etc is appealing.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

They work real well for me, I think you have to keep the muzzle velicity up around or over 2000 FPS. I have come to believe that they were designed with Mag loads in mind every bullet has a velicity range at which it works best.
My experance tells me that loads above 125 gr seem to work quite well as far as opening to a good mushroom and getting a good blood trail is concerned. Lee
Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

I killed a 340 6X6 elk with the 300 grn two years ago with 100grns of triple7 2f in my CVA Optima at 160 yards the elk made it a total of 20 yards after being hit. I like this bullet alot but after seing what my White Ultra Mag and a 460grn pure lead bullet does to an elk plus how cheap they are to purchase its my favorite hunting bullet now.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bdeather

I killed a 340 6X6 elk with the 300 grn two years ago with 100grns of triple7 2f in my CVA Optima at 160 yards the elk made it a total of 20 yards after being hit. I like this bullet alot but after seing what my White Ultra Mag and a 460grn pure lead bullet does to an elk plus how cheap they are to purchase its my favorite hunting bullet now.
Very interesting that you chose killing power over long range, especially after getting a 340 bull with an SST. What is the maximum range you would shoot a 460g pure lead bullet? 100 yards? 125? 150? Did the SST go completely thru the elk?
Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Also I have read on other ML forums that they don't expand, they shoot right thru an animal, with a small exit hole so little blood trail.
Chap, you won't have that problem with them in the newsavage under smokeless. I have heard some complain of over expansion with the upper velocity loads, though I haven't seen it first hand using standard loads. Great performance from my perspective in 3 deer. Though you may require a different sabot then MMP HPH12's that they come packaged with. I use the MMP HPH 12's much easier to load, plusit reduced the flyers.

I like the SST but think under loads 100grs area and range 150 or under the likes of a hornady XTP or similar is better serving. The cost plus the fact they just palin work are my main reasons. Though if your going to be shootinglonger distancesthe better BC of SST, etc is appealing.
I will keep that in mind when I get the Savage 10ML. I agree with you on the Hornady XTP, I use the 300g, but I guess for deer the 240s or 260s are better. I find that300g will go thru and leave a blood trail, plus if I hit the shoulder, it will penetrate the shoulder and get into the chest cavity, which should be a quick kill and the shoulder destroyed won't go far.

I have one place that I hunt that has 275-300 yard shots, so I would like my Savage to be able to reach 250. Will have to work up a load and a bullet. I intend to practice at 200 with the Savage when I get it. Thanks Chap Gleason

Old 01-31-2007, 06:31 AM

For years i used the 240 grain XTP with very good results. Started using the 250 grain SST a little while back. it does a very good job on deer and hogs. Most ofthem have been bang flops.

Quick Reply: hornady sst

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.