Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hornady sst

Old 02-03-2007, 12:26 PM

Default RE: hornady sst

cayugad as far as blood trails go my father & I shot 5 deer with them , 3 never moved & 2 went 40 yards ,the blood trail on the ones that ran were not spraying by no means but they did not go far enough to start I think . 4 out of the 5 did not pass through , found slug under skin on other side . Three of them were long shots over 100 -125 yards, but when I opened them up the chest cavity was like jelly inside so the bullets did what they are supposed to do , I am wondering if they would act the same because 12 ga is 2100 fps, what kind of load would I need to get this in my 50 cal i do not have a chrono to check fps .
Old 02-03-2007, 12:40 PM

"Also I take it a lot of people are not hitting massive bone structure with the bullet."

I did shoot a boar that field dressed a little over 350 pounds through the shoulders. The load was 100 grains of granular Pyrodex and a 250 grain SST.That bullet went through about 15 inches of gristle, bone and innards and leftexit hole larger than one inch.i amno longeran advocate of huge quantities of Pyrodex. Used to use 120-150 grains of granularor Pryodex pellets.Foundthatsuch loads arenot necessary for deer and hogs.

Going hog hunting this afternoon with my Encore. The load is: 90 grains of Jim Shockey Gold behind a 250 grain SST.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Pella Hunter - just the fact that 4 of the 5 did not get pass through is important information. Now this is from a shotgun slug you are talking about.. correct? I was interested in the muzzleloader results also. I have not shot a shotgun slug in many many years.

Your description of the wound channel sounds excellent. The same as many other Shockwave and SST shooters have reported. Also the lack of significant blood trail seems to coincide with some reports. Although most shooters do state, they recovered their animals which is the main thing.

In my case, where I hunt I need to be very aware of blood trails. After placing my shot, if I do not anchor the animal, they run into some of the most miserable thickets a person ever went into and disappear. With out a blood trail, as in the past, I have had my work cut out for me in regards of recovery. It's funny but the one projectile that often times creates a great blood trail is the simple roundball or conical...

Thanks for the information...
Old 02-03-2007, 01:10 PM

I just had a friend stop by who is coming back from Florida on a hog hunt. He shot a 230 lb hog with the 300 SW. he said it ran about 90 yards then dropped dead. They said the exit hole was really small and the hog didn't bleed all that much. they had a pass thru so the bullet wasn't recovered. The second hog was shot with a Barnes 295 gr bullet. It ran about 15 yards and fell over. Exit hole was massive and they had blood everywhere.

We have killed a bunch of deer with the 250 Sw this year and recovered all of them. But we still have been disappointed with the size of the exit hole and the poor blood trails. You really can't complain when you kill what u shoot and recover all of them. I am going to try the Speer 300 GR GD along with the300 XTP next tear. I think I will also try some big old conicals. Most all of our deer are killed at less than a 100 yds.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

oldwun - most interesting. Again, noted, little blood trail but game recovered. I guess that is what's important. Now I have read posts where massive blood trails were had and saw photos of bone damage by the Shockwave that can only be described as impressive.

As for the Barnes, that is one of my favorite bullets. I also like the pure lead Buffalo 375 grain SSB's.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:28 PM

cayaqdI to have seen those pics and read the results.I can only tell what happened on our deer. Our deer are not as large as deer from the north. I am not condemming the SW in fact I will still use them.I have read that at close range the exit holes are not impressive and that's what we have found.I will say they really do some damage to the bone structure. But when u recover all of your kills u can't complain. I just hope when the "Big boy" steps out the bullet performs.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I am the only one on this forum who is not impressed with the performance of the SST or XTP bullets. I have taken multiple deer with the above mentioned bullets and am not impresssed with either. This year I had shot a doe at about 60 yards, a heart shot, didn't run but 20 yards. After dressing the doe we had noticed there was an entrance wound and no exit wound, then noticed the bullet just under the skin on the animals left side, it was a quartering away shot. Upon recovery of the bullet, noticed the jacket had seperated from the bullet, with a great deal of fragmentation. The bullet was the Shockwave 250 grain bullet with 130 grains of pyrodex behind it. Had the same thing happen some years ago with the XTP bullets, which were 140 grain bulletwith 100 grains of pyrodex behind them. The bullets seperated from the jackets on 2 seperate bucks, and that is not at all, what I call impressive, I still have the bullets and as soon as I get my new camera I will take pic's and post them. Anytime the jacket pulls away from the bullet, it takes kinetic energy away from the performance of thebullet which is supposed to transfer that energy to the animal. This incident this year, had made me change to Barnes bullets all together.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetailcrazy

I guess I am the only one on this forum who is not impressed with the performance of the SST or XTP bullets. I have taken multiple deer with the above mentioned bullets and am not impresssed with either. This year I had shot a doe at about 60 yards, a heart shot, didn't run but 20 yards. After dressing the doe we had noticed there was an entrance wound and no exit wound, then noticed the bullet just under the skin on the animals left side, it was a quartering away shot. Upon recovery of the bullet, noticed the jacket had seperated from the bullet, with a great deal of fragmentation. The bullet was the Shockwave 250 grain bullet with 130 grains of pyrodex behind it. Had the same thing happen some years ago with the XTP bullets, which were 140 grain bulletwith 100 grains of pyrodex behind them. The bullets seperated from the jackets on 2 seperate bucks, and that is not at all, what I call impressive, I still have the bullets and as soon as I get my new camera I will take pic's and post them. Anytime the jacket pulls away from the bullet, it takes kinetic energy away from the performance of thebullet which is supposed to transfer that energy to the animal. This incident this year, had made me change to Barnes bullets all together.
Yes, several of us are aware of the XTP and SST separation problem. I haveseen where people shoot them into sand and get the same results that you said in a deer. Sabotloader has brought this to the attention of several of us, that is the reason that he is recommending a Speer Gold Dot now. Many people use the XTP because of price, they like to shoot and don't want to use a $1/bullet plinking bullet.I agree with you on the Barnes, and will shoot them in my 10 ML when I get it, I have it ordered. I don't like their price either. Chap Gleason

PS. This was said on the MidWay web site about the Speer, similar testing to what I did and what Sabotloader has done.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

I am a member on another boardfor Savage ML's and everything and anything is discussed. Many members on the board worked up many different loads and we share info, so we can get the best performance. The stats I quoted were taken from others on the board that chronograph what they shoot, soI get a solid idea what my numbers are shooting the same load out of the sameML. There are some that are getting 2,900 and over 3,000 fps with duplex loads and shooting smaller bullets, such as 200grn out of modified .45 cal ML's. I really enjoy the resource.
Red Lion,
What is the URL of the Board? I need to join to start learning. I had to reorder another 10ML this past week, since when I went to pick up my new one the forearm was loose on the stock and the ram rod was in the barrel of the gun unwrapped, which I thought was very strange andno so bright. I got the SS in a Blank syn stock. Gotta get all the supplies for it, powder, scales, yata yata. I need of list of things, do they have a list on the board anywhere? Is there a favorite 10 ML supplies site?
Chap Gleason Va
Here you go http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

Here you go http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?
Thanks Red Lion. Will join that forum also. Chap Gleason