Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hornady sst

Old 01-31-2007, 08:40 AM

Default RE: hornady sst

We have used the TC SW which is the same bullet but it is my understanding that it has a MMP 24 sabot so it will load easier. We took 5 deer this year with that bullet at ranges of 45 - 115 yards. every bullet passed thru so I don't know what it looked like. I will say it did not leave a great blood trail butwe did recover all of the deer. The furthest any of the deer ran was 36 yards. I don't know what to think as the deer were all graveyard dead but the exit holes were small. We were shooting Omega's using 100 gr loose T7 and the Win T7 primer.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah Chap, when I needed penetration I went with the 300 xtp (moose and bear). On deer the 240 has performed very nicely, though I haven't double pin shot one either with the 240's.Had someclip or hit the opposing shoulder on a 1/4 away shot but at that point the bullets done its job!

BTW I noticed I made a typo I use MMP HPH 24's with 250gr SST in my Savage 10II(in lieu of the HPH 12's the SST's come with).

Good Luck. (Once you have found a base line load and become familar with the savage. With those ranges you may want to consider H4198 under the 250 gr bullet? Little more felt recoil but can zip them and hold accuracy. I am going to bespendingmore time with H4198and others this year.)
Old 01-31-2007, 01:12 PM

I really like and only shoot the SST's. Predominently I will shoot the 250's with MMP 12's and it usually will push out there about 2330fps with IMR4759 and around 2600fps with IMR 4198. They can do some big time damage.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

qleason.chapman I dont beleive I chose killing power over long distance since I am very comfortable at shooting up to 150 yards with my Whites. To me this is long distance shooting with a muzzleloader, plus like you said this is a good killing combo so I beleive I have the best of both worlds here. My 460grn bullets come out to 22 cents apeice the ssts come out to 57 cents apeice. Thats a tough decision. I do like the ssts but they are twice what I pay for the pure lead bullets. The sst on the elk did not go all the way through.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alsaqr

For years i used the 240 grain XTP with very good results. Started using the 250 grain SST a little while back. it does a very good job on deer and hogs. Most ofthem have been bang flops.

Yep, bang floopy is what we are looking for. Chap
Old 02-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Yeah Chap, when I needed penetration I went with the 300 xtp (moose and bear). On deer the 240 has performed very nicely, though I haven't double pin shot one either with the 240's.Had someclip or hit the opposing shoulder on a 1/4 away shot but at that point the bullets done its job!

BTW I noticed I made a typo I use MMP HPH 24's with 250gr SST in my Savage 10II(in lieu of the HPH 12's the SST's come with).

Good Luck. (Once you have found a base line load and become familar with the savage. With those ranges you may want to consider H4198 under the 250 gr bullet? Little more felt recoil but can zip them and hold accuracy. I am going to bespendingmore time with H4198and others this year.)
Skeeter, Thanks for the info on a savage 10ML. I have not selected a powder yet, in fact just bought scales. I will put this in my Savage folder on my PC. How many grains of H4198 are you using?
The MMP HPH 24 are the thinner sabots that compete with the Harvester Split Rib right?
Chap Gleason Va
Old 02-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

I really like and only shoot the SST's. Predominently I will shoot the 250's with MMP 12's and it usually will push out there about 2330fps with IMR4759 and around 2600fps with IMR 4198. They can do some big time damage.
Wow on those numbers, what manual are you using to determine the 2600fps? Chap Gleason
Old 02-01-2007, 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Wow on those numbers, what manual are you using to determine the 2600fps? Chap Gleason
I am a member on another boardfor Savage ML's and everything and anything is discussed. Many members on the board worked up many different loads and we share info, so we can get the best performance. The stats I quoted were taken from others on the board that chronograph what they shoot, soI get a solid idea what my numbers are shooting the same load out of the sameML. There are some that are getting 2,900 and over 3,000 fps with duplex loads and shooting smaller bullets, such as 200grn out of modified .45 cal ML's. I really enjoy the resource.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a member on another boardfor Savage ML's and everything and anything is discussed. Many members on the board worked up many different loads and we share info, so we can get the best performance. The stats I quoted were taken from others on the board that chronograph what they shoot, soI get a solid idea what my numbers are shooting the same load out of the sameML. There are some that are getting 2,900 and over 3,000 fps with duplex loads and shooting smaller bullets, such as 200grn out of modified .45 cal ML's. I really enjoy the resource.
Red Lion,
What is the URL of the Board? I need to join to start learning. I had to reorder another 10ML this past week, since when I went to pick up my new one the forearm was loose on the stock and the ram rod was in the barrel of the gun unwrapped, which I thought was very strange andno so bright. I got the SS in a Blank syn stock. Gotta get all the supplies for it, powder, scales, yata yata. I need of list of things, do they have a list on the board anywhere? Is there a favorite 10 ML supplies site?
Chap Gleason Va
Old 02-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I've never had the pleasure to shoot a deer with a SST or Shockwave, but have paid close attention to your posts. So the best thing to do is ask the experience.

Do you think the velocity the projectile is shot at makes a difference in expansion and blood trail? I read a lot of posts of no blood trail.

Also I take it a lot of people are not hitting massive bone structure with the bullet. So do you think the bullet design hitting vitals but no bone mass is causing the lack of blood trail but the death of the animal?

Last is, perhaps this is not a close quarter projectile. Meaning it needs room to get out there, maybe slow down and then hit. Would a XTP work better at the close range?

thanks in advance for your comments.

Quick Reply: hornady sst

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.