Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Precision Rifles Dead Center Bullets

Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Precision Rifles Dead Center Bullets

I've been reading about these and the BC's they advertise.ML magazine rated them best in their last issue.Have any of you tried these.I have'nt seen anyone mention them in any posts?If so are they worth the price?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Precision Rifles Dead Center Bullets

I've used them for years.They come by there name honest(dead center).The ones I've recovered show good retention, expansion,with no pass thru on the deer I've taken.A bit $pricey$ though.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: norsky

I've been reading about these and the BC's they advertise.ML magazine rated them best in their last issue.Have any of you tried these.I have'nt seen anyone mention them in any posts?If so are they worth the price?
I have tried them:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/DeadCenter340g.htm

They didn't group well in my guns AND they were difficult to go down. I like the BC, but many believe it is overstated. I like the penetration. I don't like the cost, there are cheaper just as effective bullets. I didn't try to work up a load because I was trying different bullets for penetration. I talked to the owner and learned a few things about the design--they are designed to shoot thru an animal, not "over-expand" like a HP.I would consider them as a hunting bullet in my new Savage 10ML with Smokeless, but I still like the Noslers for strength and penetration. BC on Nosler doesn't come close to the Dead Center. Also made inCanada and not readily available from local resources.Excellent bullet though.
Chap GleasonVa
Old 01-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried some last fall and gotreal good groups with them 1.1/2 to 2 inch @ 50yrds with open sights. My eyes are too bad to try 100yrds. Can't even see the bulls eye. I can't wait to see how they do after I put a scope on. They are a little pricey but no worse than platinum Powerbelts or a couple others.
www.prbullet.com
Old 01-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

I would look into some buffalo SSB 375 boattail HP has a high BC at about 1/2 the pirice.
I hit a huge 8 pointer a few years back with them precision QT'S in 350 grain,it did the job but the blood trail was hard to follow seem it made only one hole and never did exit,turn the energy loose inside the chest area but the 8 pointer did go 100 yards before going down.
I did havebetter results with the silver lighting in 300 grain hit a few deer with them ,they never took 2 steps from were there were shot and the exit hole was like a soft ball.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Above and beyond the expense [for soft lead bullets yet] I have not been able to keep from haveing flyers with heavy loads . Which is likely attributable to the fact that pure lead will deform at 1500 fps and when you get it up to 2000 its hard to predict what it will do. Lee
Old 01-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Speaking of price, are the dead centers at Cabela's the same bullet or a cheap knockoff?

Old 01-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have been usingDead Centersfor the last few years. All one shot kills and no tracking. Drops'm now! My son is using DC's because I'm so happy with them. Same results. I just drop a couple of pellets in my Encore and shoot. Get about 2" groups at 100 yards. I'm sure I could work up a better load with loosepowder, but see no need. Try 200 grain bullets on deer sized animals. I get them locally and at Cabela's. I didn't notice that the DC's cost any more and I don't care. Jim
Old 01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My results for accuracy was pretty good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/HuntAway/Zero50Cal2.bmp

As for penetration I used a similar setup as Chapman's and they never failed to go through the 5gb pail of dirt end to end.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Same bullet-I tried them and the blue tipped QT also. Both shot well for me. If you don't mind paying the price,use them. I found other bullets just as good,both in accuracy and stopping power,for a lot less $$$.

Charlie

Quick Reply: Precision Rifles Dead Center Bullets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.