Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what to use ....................1-48

Old 01-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what to use ....................1-48

Weren't T/C maxiballs designed with the 1-48 Hawken in mind..??..

In any case, they seem to shoot very well in most any Hawken I've seen..

Also, in my 1-48 .50Hawken, the No Excuses 460 shoots very well...I know that this bullet is considered on the ragged edge of being too long for that twist, but it stabilizes well in my barrel, loads very easily and is very accurate... And it knocks the s*** out of critters that you hit with it...
Old 01-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pygmy

Weren't T/C maxiballs designed with the 1-48 Hawken in mind..??..

In any case, they seem to shoot very well in most any Hawken I've seen..

Also, in my 1-48 .50Hawken, the No Excuses 460 shoots very well...I know that this bullet is considered on the ragged edge of being too long for that twist, but it stabilizes well in my barrel, loads very easily and is very accurate... And it knocks the s*** out of critters that you hit with it...
My a 460 must kick like h**l, I have not used that bullet, but I believe you when you said it knock the socks out of critters that you hit.
Chap Gleason Va
Old 02-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

my tc hawkins .50 cal will only shoot the 370 maxi-ball well..i never tried sabots..

the powerbelt 295/348 also shoot great..all shot best at around 80 grs of 2f..

on hawkins, factory said you should use a long bullet..dont use maxi-hunters ,they are too short..

as for roundball,i never could get them to shoot until ROUNDBALL helped me on here..at 60 grs of 2f,at 50 yards,.490 ball,i can shoot in same hole with my RMC sights..i gave up on roundballs years ago in my hawkins but now, i use them all time..they shoot great out of 1-48 twiist..