Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I hate open sights - part 2

Old 02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I hate open sights - part 2

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: sproulman

yes, i have experience with RMC v-peep..ok, here we go..

i like the GREEN front bead.not red..i bought a set of the extra fiber things for front sight..

OK. I got the RMC peep on and it looks good not blurry, kinda big for a peep hole, but I will try it. I agree with you about the red. I aimed at a black pot on my neighbor's porch and couldn't see the red against a black background. I think the the green would be better. Did you get the green fibre optic from RMC? Chap Gleason
great you can see the rear sight clearly,mine was just a little fuzzy..like i said., you eye cannot adjust to see front sight and rear clear,way our eyes are, i guess..

only front bead needs to be clear..yes, RMC has the fiber inserts, i think 3 reds,3 greens come in pack..if you dont like red, call them and ask if they can just send you like 4 greens and 2 reds in case you want to put red back in..

big difference with THE GREEN..you take a lighter or match to melt the green one on front sight..i messed up the first green and did it over..

good to have the inserts with you in woods in case you break one,that could happen..

on deer hunting,i use DEAD on hold, this means you put sight dead on target,on target shooting with roundball, i use6 o clock hold, or i put the front sight say at 25 yds,at bottom of a 1 inch circle..

with that sight i can shoot roundballs almost in same hole at 50 yds..

t/c hawkins .50cal,490 hornady rb,t/c vent linerrb,.018 bore butter patch,60 grs of 2f, 4f in pan,bore button,rmc frizzen,fuller flints[target]

deer hunting bucks , powerbelt 295/348 hollow point, 80 grs of 2f, 1 and 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds with open sights..

hope this helps..rmc is about 30 minutes from me, mr.rightnour is one nice person, you should see the guns he builds,all muzzleloaders..i like their set-up, if you have question they will forward you into the gunsmith,thats nice..
Old 02-12-2007, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

great you can see the rear sight clearly,mine was just a little fuzzy..like i said., you eye cannot adjust to see front sight and rear clear,way our eyes are, i guess..

only front bead needs to be clear..yes, RMC has the fiber inserts, i think 3 reds,3 greens come in pack..if you dont like red, call them and ask if they can just send you like 4 greens and 2 reds in case you want to put red back in..

big difference with THE GREEN..you take a lighter or match to melt the green one on front sight..i messed up the first green and did it over..

good to have the inserts with you in woods in case you break one,that could happen..

on deer hunting,i use DEAD on hold, this means you put sight dead on target,on target shooting with roundball, i use6 o clock hold, or i put the front sight say at 25 yds,at bottom of a 1 inch circle..

with that sight i can shoot roundballs almost in same hole at 50 yds..

t/c hawkins .50cal,490 hornady rb,t/c vent linerrb,.018 bore butter patch,60 grs of 2f, 4f in pan,bore button,rmc frizzen,fuller flints[target]

deer hunting bucks , powerbelt 295/348 hollow point, 80 grs of 2f, 1 and 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds with open sights..

hope this helps..rmc is about 30 minutes from me, mr.rightnour is one nice person, you should see the guns he builds,all muzzleloaders..i like their set-up, if you have question they will forward you into the gunsmith,thats nice..
I will order the green. Thanks. As for where you aim, I understand your point, so the front sight doesn't cover the animal your shooting at. I have never done it that way, but will give it a try, when I sight the gun in again. Next Saturday maybe. Yes, they are very nice people. I talk to them a lot at the Sportmans Show in Harrisburg, where I was Friday all day. They know their stuff better than Cabelas, Bass pro or any local shop, they tend tohave the right ML stuff, so I like doing business with them. I was not aware of their gunsmith being available, that is a plus also. I think based on your data, and several others that my charge is too much. I have been shooting 100g with 300g Hornady XTP Mag or Speer Gold Dot. I think I am going down to 75g and work up. Thanks for your help. Chap Gleason
Old 02-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

chap, i only use the front bead at bottom of a 1 inch black circle on white paper for TARGET shooting..i like to shoot in same holes and you cant do that with the DEAD aim center hold..

i use dead aim center hold for hunting deer..i never shoot past 100 yds so rmc sight will not cover deer,most bucks i get are at 20 yds.

so, 2 different aiming points,1 for target,1 for deer..about 2 weeks before deer season, i adjust my sights from target hold to deer hold..also, i use powerbelt not roundball,so i have to adjust each year anyhow..

pm me if you need any advice..
Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

chap, i only use the front bead at bottom of a 1 inch black circle on white paper for TARGET shooting..i like to shoot in same holes and you cant do that with the DEAD aim center hold..

i use dead aim center hold for hunting deer..i never shoot past 100 yds so rmc sight will not cover deer,most bucks i get are at 20 yds.

so, 2 different aiming points,1 for target,1 for deer..about 2 weeks before deer season, i adjust my sights from target hold to deer hold..also, i use powerbelt not roundball,so i have to adjust each year anyhow..

pm me if you need any advice..
Got it thanks. Chap