Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Harvester sabot for the Gold Dot 300?

Old 01-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which Harvester sabot for the Gold Dot 300?

Graf & Sons (from where I like to order supplies) sells two different Harvester 45 cal sabots - one says 300grn & under, and the other says 300grn & over. So which one for the Gold Dot? I don't think they sell any of the MMP's. Do you think it's the length of the sabot? By the way, I have one of those tight new Optima barrels.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 PM

Default RE: Which Harvester sabot for the Gold Dot 300?

I used the shorter one (300 gr. and under) and it worked fine.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

donw

You may need to get 45/50 cal - "crush ribs" for that Optima - especially if it is new... I would order both just so you are not to dissapointed if one doen't fit.

Myself, I prefer the longer petals - I think they come off quicker - I have no scientific evidence to back that up but I do like the longer ones...

I use 99% MMP sabots so - I have not got a lotof experiance with Harvesters....

Old 01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Roskoe and sabotloader. I have used the SST 250grn with the black sabots that come with them, and merely had trouble starting the bullet. After starting, it had not trouble going the rest of the way. Of course, I was using APP. Graf does sell the crush ribs.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I've shot them with crushed rib sabots from Harvester and got good accuracy, but that does not mean you would get the same results with your rifle. I would do what Sabotloader suggested and get one of each. You will shoot them all off sooner or later somewhere.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

donw

If you were using the Hornady SST - you probably will not have a problem at all with the regular Harvester and if you come across some MMP's you will want the HPH-24's... another source for the MMP would be the TC Mag Express sabots - they are a MMP in sheep's clothing. I would think Graf's would have the Mag Expresses. I would still try to get some 'crush ribs" or order some 3p's from MMP just to have on hand... in case....
Old 01-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, I'll probably by one of the crushed rib and one of the short ones. Man, there's lots of variables, and one could spend a fortune testing. I just wish I had cayugad's set up. I used to shoot my bow out to 40 yards in my back yard...until I pi**ed off the neighbor on that side. Turned my range around, and now I can only get 30 yards. That's the down side of suburb living.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: donw

Thanks guys, I'll probably by one of the crushed rib and one of the short ones. Man, there's lots of variables, and one could spend a fortune testing. I just wish I had cayugad's set up. I used to shoot my bow out to 40 yards in my back yard...until I pi**ed off the neighbor on that side. Turned my range around, and now I can only get 30 yards. That's the down side of suburb living.
MidSouth shooter supply, sells the gold dot for $14 and the Crush Rib for $5, they are on the Web. Fast shipping. Chap Gleason Va