Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I Hate Open Sights...

Old 01-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default I Hate Open Sights...

I admit it - I like scopes better... and I really dislike these bump and guess rear ramp sights that I have on this GM barrel...

I did get back out to do some more conical shooting - got to learn a new thing now for Idaho...

I set the target at 75 yards today and started to hammer away...

Shots 1 & 2 looked like the beginnings of a good group and since I did not want to ruin it I decided I would move the rear sight up the ramp 3 little lines... Then shot 3 & 4 they moved up but not near what I thought they might and again 3&4 looked promising and insteading possibly ruining the group another site move... this time 4 little lines which put me across the last big line... and then I got brave I wanted to move the bullet to the right - loosened the the sight and slid the the sight over a wee bit... no lines to go by here it is truely a SWAG method adjustment... 2 more shots and things were looking good up and down but left and right had not moved much at all.... I was trying to achieve 2.74" (3") high from the center of the orange dot... Then I went and did it - I loaded up the 3rd shot wanted to split the two I had already shot but in the back of my mind I knew I was shooting left and I must have mentally made an adjustment - STUPID - so I blew the group... But I did make up my mind I am going to go get a TC adjustable rear sight and put it on - We are headed to Spokane tomorrow and Kennewick Friday so in one of those two towns I am going to get a new sight...

I did continue to shoot at things out in the clearcut. At one point I was shooting a wood staub sticking out of the snow at 125 yards. It was easy to see the holes in the snow the 460's were punching, but i was really happy that all of the shots seemed to be really good elevation wise - but still shooting left. I was using (trying to use) set the target on top of the front blade sight picture.

So far I am really happy with the performance of the 460's, course in the back of my mind I am thinking this would be a lot easier with a lighter bullet in a sabot...

I stayed with the 70 grains shooting around 1400 fps vs going to 80 grains (1500 fps) because I believe the longest shot I might attempt would be the 125 yard mark and the 1400 fps @ the muzzle provides plenty of energy 1143 lbs for a clean harvest elk or deer???? any thoughts

Old 01-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I Hate Open Sights...

What do I think?

That was some great shooting. Awesome. 6 shots in a row sub MOA. Totally awesome. You are going to be good to 120 yards when you get there. Way to go.

Oh and plenty of energy? Its there I assure you. I think 6X6's estimation of B.C. is conservative for the 460 NE.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:07 PM

thats a great group, i wouldnt buy new sights. Try to get it over more to the right and you'll be set. Mine shoots a little to the left too but im to chicken to touch that windage sight lol.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Dominant Buck

actually I think you're doing real well. All of that adjustment shows a lot of promise. I think all it will take is a little more fine tuning and you're going to be good to go out to 125 yards with little problem... conicalloader
Old 01-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are doing one heckuva lot better than I can with open sights.

One might think that would be good enough for out to maybe 65 yards - but not so as I found out later those two shots (at nearly that distance) were just a fluke. Even holdinga guestimated sight picture at just 25 yards was a real strain.30 years ago I could have kept all of them inside 2" at 100 yards, even on a bad day using the thick front sight on a TC Hawken. The only muzzleloader match I ever fired in was off-hand standing at 50 yards, 3 shots with two in the X and one just barelyoff but stillin the10-ring. I aint braggin, I'm cryin'. You can never go home again.

And no, eyeglasses will NOT correct my vision problems (that's just for anyone that thinks they are an optometrist).
Old 01-24-2007, 06:35 PM

im tellin ya guys, those truglow sights i put on my rifle really helped me out big time. They even offer sights tht glow in Pure darkness.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glowing sights are like watching dancing fireflies to my old eyes - worse not better.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

This is basically the same rifle you're shooting right now. I shot this at 50 yards. The circled hits were some gold dots I was shooting. The lower group is 250 gr Sabertooth Conicals. I was using 90 gr of Kik 3f black powder. I was shooting off a single bag rest.

I use the target on top of the ball hold with this rifle. And as you can see, the hits are right where the ball is and a little left. But I was real pleased with the rifle and the Saber tooth.

I also tried to shake a Sabertooth off the load. I believe Frontier Gander had problems with them in this respect. I was not only not able to shake the conical out of the plastic wad, but could not move it off the load either. You can load these with out a short starter IF YOU SWAB BETWEEN SHOTS.

As for the design of these they are like a powerbelt with a closed nose of an XTP. They also come in different weights. The 300 grain shoot great out of my Knight Rifles so I am going to try them next time out in the GMB Renegade. Whether they would be legal in Idaho and how hard you could push them... might be something to consider.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

The bullet rule -> 10/1000 of bore and all lead - that lets the all lead Powerbelt in but the Sabertooth's are copper clad - although it is very thin...

I have problems with the performance of PB's so that leaves me out with them, so the next best thing - I think - from all thre reading I have done is the NE... in fact I think I first picked up on them from you. The Hawken with the GM barrel will be the choice for ML season and that use to be a very short season - 7 days in the front part of December. Although I do have a Renegade I want to develop into a conical shooter also. I really do not think I will get into the dozensand dozens of differentlead projectile choices like I did the for the inlines. More than 95% of my ML hunting will occur during the regular season, so that will happen with a scoped inline - this year it is suppose to be the White - It was the year of the Omega last year - infact it might already be mostly retired. It will eventually come down to the White or one of the Remingtons...

Old 01-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike and Cayugad - what to you guys use as a hold point?
Bottom of bull, center ?

Steve

Quick Reply: I Hate Open Sights...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.