Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I Hate Open Sights...

Old 01-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I Hate Open Sights...

yeoman

No I have not shot it without the shot cards... the only reason I am using the shot cards, well actually two reasons... 1) I do not want to melt the bottom of the conical with the powder charge - I hate the thought of lead fouling... and 2) I worry about the lubricant on the conical possible contaminating part of the powder load.... I may leave my gun loaded for weeks in all kinds of weather. I am hoping the shot card will insulate against that also... These cards do not appear to be lubricated - UC suggested them from TOW - heck I got a thousand of them at riduculously cheap price - can not remember what.... I find them down range - they actully fly farther than sabots...

I might have to try chrono readings with out cards ans see if there is a difference... I was going to shoot across the chrono again today but ran out of time and patience - fighting that darn sight...

I am going to replace that sight -might have to drill and tap a new hole for the TC sight but done it before and will probably do it again....

mike

Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys!

Steve
Old 01-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

im tellin ya guys, those truglow sights i put on my rifle really helped me out big time. They even offer sights tht glow in Pure darkness.
I have some Tru-Glow sights from RMCSports on my FL, but the back sight is blury. I found that they have a U shaped iron sight for this problem that RMCSports.com is selling to correct the 'far sighted shooter problem'. I like the rear green and the front red, but they are real blurry for me.
I agree they are great in low light. I also think the tru-glow are a bit big for the front sight (I think you said aim small, miss small--or maybe that was the Patroit that sait that). Best wishes. Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at these Marble sites. First the ad .
The Marble’s® front sight, with its unique contour, has set the standard since 1900. No stampings, no castings, no plastic, no aluminum, NO BREAKAGE. These magnificent front sights are the number one choice of precision shooters and serious hunters. Marble’s Contour Front Sights are strong, stable, and give your rifle a true traditional look. Marble’s Contour Front Sights are available in various widths and heights from .260 inches to .570 inches. Choose a gold, ivory or fiber optic bead.

The Marble’s® front sight, with its unique contour, has set the standard since 1900. No stampings, no castings, no plastic, no aluminum, NO BREAKAGE. These magnificent front sights are the number one choice of precision shooters and serious hunters. Marble’s Contour Front Sights are strong, stable, and give your rifle a true traditional look. Marble’s Contour Front Sights are available in various widths and heights from .260 inches to .570 inches. Choose a gold, ivory or fiber optic bead.

Like Ron Popeel says set it and forget it .

Al
Old 01-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

As far as how to hold the sights; I have a different theory than most of the target shooters. I also shoot practical pistol and when I use the muzzleloader it is for hunting. The idea here is that holding the bead or crosshair (I scope mine so that eliminates the bead) but for the ones without a scope stay with me. I want the bullet to hit exactly where the bead is as when hunting I want to put the bead where I want the bullet, not somewhere below the animal sweet spot. It always seemed a little strange to put the bead somewhere other than where you want the bullet to hit. Just the way I do it and it works for me.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

im tellin ya guys, those truglow sights i put on my rifle really helped me out big time. They even offer sights tht glow in Pure darkness.
Can you post a link to the ones you bought? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

As far as how to hold the sights; I have a different theory than most of the target shooters. I also shoot practical pistol and when I use the muzzleloader it is for hunting. The idea here is that holding the bead or crosshair (I scope mine so that eliminates the bead) but for the ones without a scope stay with me. I want the bullet to hit exactly where the bead is as when hunting I want to put the bead where I want the bullet, not somewhere below the animal sweet spot. It always seemed a little strange to put the bead somewhere other than where you want the bullet to hit. Just the way I do it and it works for me.
Ishoot the same way when I shot pistol. The reason I am changing from a modified hold to a full open hold is,I know the bullet will hit on top of the front site. And I can actually see on the animal, the point the bullet should hit. Not some limb 25 yards in front of me that the sight covers while I think I am on target.

Now when I shoot pistol, I shoot a full cover, but silhouette shooting for me is a lot different then bulls eye or actual hunting,
Old 01-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I totally agree with you Dave, but is so hard to teach an old rock new things... I think I am turning to granite and it is getting harder.. i know my daughter would agree..
Old 01-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I have some .504 Bull Shop in 460, 500 & 560 grain. I think I will take the Stainless Green Mountain Barrel out and see what the 460 grain will do. I also have some 370 grain Maxi Ball also, and lots of corn meal so since its snowing and only 22ºs out .. sounds like a perfect day to shoot.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

I understand the theory but when I am hunting I find that trying to change my sight pattern to something that I have not done for years seems to be lost in the excitement and I always want to put the dot on the spot to be hit. Of course since we are allowed scopes in Arizona the whole thing changes anyway. In fact I just bought a Burris ballistic plex scope and am going to see if I can make it work. I know you mentioned some time ago that you did not have much luck with those type of scopes (ballistic plex or Mil-dot).

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

Ishoot the same way when I shot pistol. The reason I am changing from a modified hold to a full open hold is,I know the bullet will hit on top of the front site. And I can actually see on the animal, the point the bullet should hit. Not some limb 25 yards in front of me that the sight covers while I think I am on target.

Now when I shoot pistol, I shoot a full cover, but silhouette shooting for me is a lot different then bulls eye or actual hunting,

Quick Reply: I Hate Open Sights...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.