Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good traditional ML

Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Good traditional ML

I got one of those wild hairs yesterday andI have decided to purchase a traditional 50 cal ML. I know a little about the TC Hawkins but very little about what else is out there. What are some of the other brands out there and do u have a history with them. I want to use the # 11 caps and of course iron sights.I also want to shoot conicals only . Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Good traditional ML

The T/C Hawkins and Renegade rifles are sure hard to beat for a production line traditional rifle. I have several of them and they are all good shooters. They have a 1:48 twist and will shoot roundball and conical very well. I shoot powerbelts, REAL, maxiball, and even sabots out of my Renegades and Hawkins rifles. Not to mention roundball of course. For 100 yards and under deer hunting a roundball has served me very well over the years.

Another good line of production rifles are Lyman a.k.a. Investarms a.k.a. Cabela's Hawkins. Lymans come in 1:48, 1-32& 1-60 twist depending on what model you purchase. I own a Trade Rifle with a 1:48 twist. It is without doubt a great shooter of roundball and concal bullets. If all you want to shoot is conical with great accuracy, then with out question I would go to a Lyman Great Plains HUNTER. They have a 1-32 twist and are made to shoot conicals. Their one draw back is they are a big heavy rifle and if walking is in your future and age is your best friend, they can get a little heavy by the end of the day. But then, what rifle does not. Just means you stop and rest more.

Other rifles out there are CVA Bobcats. They are inexpensive, but for the most part excellent shooters. I have one of them also. It has a 1-48 twist and will shoot roundball and conical very well. I have taken three deer with them and the longest one managed to run was 25 yards shooting roundball.

Traditions have some fine traditional rifles. They have a twist to match your mood and a price to match your pocket. They have some very high end rifles and then some basic traditional rifles.

Depending on the rifle, there were some older model tradtional rifles you can still find on the auction sites. The T/C Black Mountain Magnum, New Englander, Firestorm, and many more. All you can do is look.

If you want to look at some Lyman rifles, check out http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/Muzzleloaders.html D&R Sports....
Old 01-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Default cayuqad

I was hoping u would be one of the people to respond. Yeah at soon to be 69 my age is not my friend.I still bowhunt a lot but I can feel my age creeping up on me.I will look at those that u mention handle conicals well. I do have some good shooting houses and ladder stands on my place so I do most of my hunting from them. I seem to do better that way.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cayuqad

I keep a couple small very light Carbine muzzleloaders in my collection just for walking and stalking. Otherwise when I am going to sit, I do not consider the weight of the rifle too much. Good luck. The Lyman and T/C are great rifles...
Old 01-24-2007, 04:11 PM

Default RE: cayuqad

I would get a Lyman, Cabela's or TC Hawken ifI were getting one. Those are my favorites.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just bought a Lyman Trade Rifle from
www.dnrsports.com
haven't had a chance to get out to the range yet, too rainy and cold ( 45 degrees!).
The feel and finish of this rifle is excellent in my opinion. I'm happy with the purchase.
The trade rifle also comes with interchangable rear sights. The one on there is a primitive non adjustable, and they include an adjustable rear sight as well, which i've put on mine.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:52 AM

Ok, rain is a legit excuse but 45 degrees sounds balmy to me John!
Although I'd prefer a longer sight radiusmy Lyman Deerstalker is a nice light carrying gun. I would have opted for the Trade Rifle myself if they made a lefty version...Love the GP but like Dave said, it is a long, heavy gun. If I had my way I would get one of kits from Pecatonica...some day...
Old 01-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lyman Great Plains Hunter with a 1-32" twist would be the best for conicals.
The TC Hawkens will work good but not as good with the 1-48" twist.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:49 AM

I am going to get the Lymans GPH with the 1 in 32 twist thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:53 AM

If you do go with a lyman midsouth has the best prices I have found.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Quick Reply: Good traditional ML

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.