Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thin sabots

Old 01-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Thin sabots

One of the reasons I'm trying to succeed with Sabertooth bullets is their ease of loading, also why Powerbelts are so popular. Why doesn't someone make easy load sabots for many of the standard bullet diameters? Do we really need that much plastic?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thin sabots

yeoman

They do! both Harvester and MMP make a EZ loading 50 cal sabot, Harvester also makes a 44 cal ez loader...

Harvesters are called "crush ribs" and MMP's are called HPH-3p-EZ load. MMP also makes a HPH-24 sabot that fits most new guns very well even the tight TC's and new Green Mountain barrels...

I prefer the 3p-EZ to the Harvester - it is strictly a personal thing.. when I was testing them got higher velocities with them and excellent accuracy..

Old 01-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader, I've heard of the Crushed Rib. How do you go about ordering the correct sabot? Wouldn't it be great if you could get a "variety pack" and try them out. I have a full box of .451 pistol rounds and the standard green sabots are a real pain to load.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Oops, my mistake. Their .429 with the green.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

If these green sabots you have now are the older variety - 3/4 years old they were made to Hornady's specifications and they were THICK... The new HPH green sabots, the new TC Mag Express green sabots, and the regular Harvester sabot are thinner than the old one. + the Harvester 'crush rib' is even thinner...

You can probably find the TC mag express sabots (made by MMP) at most sporting goods stores that handle ML supplies and they will probably have the 'crush rib' also....

The green sabot is made for a .429/.430 (44 cal) bullet.

You can get them online at several different places also...

Old 01-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader, I think the greens I have are over 15 years old! Lord knows how thick they are. I'll try some of your suggestions. Love to find a combo that will shoot these things out of my gun with decent accuracy.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

That is an interesting idea. The air rifle guys do just that with pellets. You can buy a combination packet that has all the pellets made in seperate boxes so you can determine which one works the best in your rifle.

ORIGINAL: yeoman

Sabotloader, I've heard of the Crushed Rib. How do you go about ordering the correct sabot? Wouldn't it be great if you could get a "variety pack" and try them out. I have a full box of .451 pistol rounds and the standard green sabots are a real pain to load.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 AM
bigcountry

Easy loading means more possible blowby. You want it to be tight.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

bigcountry

That is not neccessarily true any longer, it certainly was with the old sabots but with the newer ones - it might be a "wives tale." The cup on the HPH polymere sabots will hold the pressure, it would be the heat that might cause you a problem.

As an example, and I do not have the nubers right here, but I did some testing with HPH-24's, HPH-3ps, Harvester, Harvester "crush rib's." In the guns that I shoot HPH-24's and regular Harvesters go down snug - not hard but snug. So when Del asked me to test the new thin 3p's I was very concerned about blow-by. When I loaded that first 3p I was more concerned - the weight of the ram rod slid the bullet and the sabot down the barrel, even the Harvester "crush rib" had more resistance. With the 3p I was sure i could shake the bullet out of the sabot - I tried - it didn't. I was also convinced that the sabot would have at least come off the powder - it didn't.

Well anyway to the point.... There was very little difference in velocity or accuracy measuring from the 24's to the 3p or the Harvester and the 3p's. Where the velocity change occured was from the 3p's to the "crush rib" or the 24's and the regular Harvesters to the "crush rib." I did publish the numbers a while back and sent them to MMP. I could dig them up again if you would be interested.

The point being, other than a Savage shooting smokeless, there is no reason to be pounding or struggling to get a sabot down, but I will also agree that if it is to loose you may be creating more problems than just blow by.

If you had a White you would really understand.... I have know idea what holds those conicals in that they shoot... Cascadedads loads easier than ANY sabot that I have ever loaded, why it doesn't come off the powder or loose accuracy - I'll never know....

Old 01-23-2007, 05:21 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

bigcountry

That is not neccessarily true any longer, it certainly was with the old sabots but with the newer ones - it might be a "wives tale." The cup on the HPH polymere sabots will hold the pressure, it would be the heat that might cause you a problem.
Iguess we are just going tohave todisagree or until I find out diferently from my own results.

Quick Reply: Thin sabots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.