Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore or Pro Hunter???

Old 01-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Encore or Pro Hunter???

I already know where I'm buying from and its not a bigger chain type store, I'm just trying to figure out if the Pro Hunter is worth the extra $200-$250 over the Encore. Let me ask a real stupid question, how do you unload the gun after an unsuccessful hunt? Does the speed breech come in handy for that or not? Or just for cleaning purposes? I know guns, just not muzzleloaders. Any and all help is appreciated!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Spike

Usually they recommend shooting the firearm off after an unsuccessful hunt. I personally will leave the shot in for a few days. Depends how wet the weather is.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Spike

The only difference between the Encore and the pro hunter is the barrel length, (all the prohuters are 28", almost worthless in everything but the 209x50) the swinging hammer, and the comfort grip stock. Also all the prohunters are all stainless. If I had it to do all over today I would go with the Encore, save the extra money and buy more encore barrels. You can find the encore barrels around $220 online.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Newmuzzleman

Usually they recommend shooting the firearm off after an unsuccessful hunt. I personally will leave the shot in for a few days. Depends how wet the weather is.
Is this legal in most places as long as there is no primer in the gun? So the breech plug is basically to make cleaning the gun easier
Old 01-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I don't have either but in reading there are some that are experiencing some blowby with the easy out breechplug. I think the sealing rings at the front do not completely seal in some rifles. Except for the shock reducing stock I think I would also go with the original Encore expecially if you can find one at a really good deal. Personally for just black powder I would go with a different rifle completely unless you want to do the switch barrel thing. If you can wait about six months you might want to check out the new Knight switch barrel rifle. I think it might just makethe Encore look slightly less desirable. I don't think the Knight will have the QLA which is another point of argument as to the ability of the rifle to shoot conical bullets. The longer barrel on the Pro-Hunter might be an advantage if you decide to have the QLA cut off; but why buy a $700 rifle and have to rework the barrel and trigger?