Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need a good sling

Old 01-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Spike

Default Need a good sling

Need a good sling for a TC Hawkens 54cal. I see Dixie Gun Works makes some. What do you guy's think. I going to start muzzleloading again after 30 years (it's funny last time I hunted deer with a smoke pole you had to shoot balls) Anyway I'm picking a restricted area in NM. Any help with loads and bullets would be great. Thanks Dave
Old 01-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need a good sling

Alot of these other fellers can tell you alot more about loads than me, I'm a newbie to blackpowder shooting, although I did order this sling for my Trade rifle. hasn't come in yet, but looks like it would work well and look good on the rifle to boot.
http://www.octobercountry.com/products3.php?productid=250

Old 01-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 70gr Gorex with the 490 RB wraped in pillow ticking lubed with bees wax.

It also does a far job with 80gr. T7 green MMP sabot and 240gr. XTP.
80 gr. T7 with 230 gr. Noslers in the pink T/C breakaway sabots.

Al
Old 01-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot 110gr RS with a bb greased ticking patch and a 535 ball in mine has a peep will group 2.5 inches @ 100 yd.
It has the 1-48 twistand it does just as well on deer or better than any of the 4 inlines I have taken deer with. Lee
Old 01-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thompson-Center-Leather-Muzzleloader-Sling_W0QQitemZ200069994205QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3170 9QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like this set-up and use it myself I hate to see on traditional guns were a stud is used in the rear of the stock
My renegade load in 54 cal. is 95 grains of goex 3F a wad under the hornady 230 patched ball
Old 01-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bassdeer

Need a good sling for a TC Hawkens 54cal. I see Dixie Gun Works makes some. What do you guy's think. I going to start muzzleloading again after 30 years (it's funny last time I hunted deer with a smoke pole you had to shoot balls) Anyway I'm picking a restricted area in NM. Any help with loads and bullets would be great. Thanks Dave
My TC Hawken Flintlock is a 1-48 twist. I am shooting 100g Goex BP. This 300g Speer Gold Dot HP Handgun bullet came out of a doe that I got in Penna last week, very very little weight loss on a bone hit. I shoot Harvester Sabots,Crushed Rib for easy loading. I swab between shots as the TC FL Manual says to do.
Chap Gleason Va

Old 01-18-2007, 07:17 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the help, I'm learning alot, Pistol ammo, cool. Unfortunately the area I'm hunting is no sabots. I going to shoot this weekend and see how it goes. My first set up will be with Hodgdon Pyrodex RS (also have some Triple 7 powder) with Hornady Great Plains .425gr HB-HP. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. Dave Bassdeer
Old 01-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

You may find that the pyrodex does a better job with the heavy conicals. Tripple Seven is a quick light off powder and may be a little to sharp to get the big conicals moving before they engrave the rifleing. Not sure as I have not shot any in my traditional rifle but just a thought.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bassdeer

Thanks for all the help, I'm learning alot, Pistol ammo, cool. Unfortunately the area I'm hunting is no sabots. I going to shoot this weekend and see how it goes. My first set up will be with Hodgdon Pyrodex RS (also have some Triple 7 powder) with Hornady Great Plains .425gr HB-HP. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. Dave Bassdeer
Give these a shot then:

http://www.harvesterbullets.com/sabertooth.htm

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/feedback.html

Should work fine in a 1-48 twist.

Chap Gleason Va

Old 01-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Spike

Guy at the muzzleloader shop said I should not shoot power belts out of a traditional muzzle loader. is that a line of bull or what.

Quick Reply: Need a good sling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.