Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter swabing for accuracy

Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Bore Butter swabing for accuracy

Any body tried swabing like this link says?
http://www.eabco.com/Muzzleloader04.htm

I only had time for 3 shots but I got a 1 1/2" group with my Omega 100 gr ff and 175 gr duplex dead center bullets. I can usually just hunt the weekends and my thinking is the bore butter will help protect the gun for a day or two will I am hunting. I realy don't want to fixrea fouling shoot at 6:00 in the morning. And my first test looks like shooting the impact is the same with a clean (bore butter) and dirty but swabbed (bore butter) barrel. Looks weather is not going to let met shoot for a while.
Any thoughts?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bore Butter swabing for accuracy

Notice that every item the author said to use in that link was listed for sale at the bottom of the page.

Steve
Old 01-17-2007, 04:30 PM

I saw that. It seemed to work good but I can't find the TC bore butter patches locally and at 13 cents it adds to the cost of shooting.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

bowbender6

They are called T17 patches, I bought a couple of containers of them and they are certainly more convienent to use than a tube of bore butter.

Another thing, I do use BB and I use it quite often, but I do not use it for a bore swab. I share your concern about a dry clean bore in humid or damo weather, so I do run a very light oiled patch down the barrel then follow it with a couple of dry clean patches to pick up any excess and bring it back out.

You do not say that you are shooting real BP but even if you are and you do not want to use oil, I think I have found an even better product than BB to use. I am currently testing it and it really looks promising. It is an all natural product but it also a quality bore protectant. Check out the link...

http://www.slip2000.com/

It is kinda expensive but a little bit goes an extra long way...

I cleaned a trap gun last weekend got all the old oil and plastic fouling out then lubed it up with "slip" - shot 125 rounds through it Sunday morning - tube looks great and choke was in really good shape very little plastic fouling...
Old 01-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

bowbender6

They are called T17 patches, I bought a couple of containers of them and they are certainly more convienent to use than a tube of bore butter.
The ones they are using are not T17 patches. They are the seasoning patches with only bore butter on them. I have containers of T17 and Seasoning Patches.The T17 seemto have some sort of mix of the blue cleaning agent and bore butter. The yellow Seasoning Patches definately have only bore butter on them. I mostly use the T17 patches as they seem to work the best. I also have a container of patches that are blue and don't have the bore butter smell to them. I believe they are called T13 patches and they seem to have only the blue cleaning agent on them. I am not 100% sure about the T13 number though, we are staying in a Hotel now becuase out power has been out for 4 days and I don't have my gun supplies with me. I started to bring all of them, but my wife gave me the look????
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

MO Archer

I started to bring all of them, but my wife gave me the look????
I KNOW that look, why do we husbands all KNOW that look - you would think we continually do things wrong... I do something and I instinctivly look for the "Look"

mike
Old 01-18-2007, 05:44 AM

During hunting season I would clean the bore and a light oil patch with balistol then before I load the next day or weekend I clean the bore with a patch sprayed with brake cleaner (degreaser) this strips the oil so i can fire the fouling shot. If I don't foul the bore it seems like the first shot is about 2" high. I was thinking leaving the bore buttter coating might make the first shot pretty close to the group but I haven't had weather to try more shooting. I have just tried a few bore butter seasoning patches (had a few samples in some cleaning kits) for cleaning but if they work I 'll end up buying something like it. What the difference between the T17 seasoning and bore butter? Anyone tried this and do they make it in patches?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

bowbender6

Here are the TC T17 products...

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.SearchResults?cmid=TOP_SEARCH_GO

During hunting season I would clean the bore and a light oil patch with balistol then before I load the next day or weekend I clean the bore with a patch sprayed with brake cleaner (degreaser) this strips the oil so i can fire the fouling shot.
Pretty much the same routine I follow, for the same reason you are stating that first shot... Te gun has already been fired and POI checked, the barrel has been patched clean and a very light coat of oil reapplied. I, however, do not do the brake cleaner thing. At home prior to loading I will run a couple of windex patches then foloowed by 3/4 dry clean patches to get as much back out of the bore as I can. Then off to the garage and pop a couple of caps - patch the barrel again with dry patches.

I know a lot of people disagree but I never strip clean the gun until after hunting season so the barrel is theory is always fouled, fouled to the point of being accurate when I shoot it. The other thing I do wrong is that there is always a VERY LIGHT, almost so little you would never know it was there,coat of oil on the bore. with the lousy Idaho weather we hunt in I really do not want a dry bore. This bit of bore protection has not affected accuracy.

mike
Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

MO Archer

I started to bring all of them, but my wife gave me the look????
I KNOW that look, why do we husbands all KNOW that look - you would think we continually do things wrong... I do something and I instinctivly look for the "Look"

mike
Stop it Mike, your killin me!!!!

Wrong things??? Does Savage .17 or Tikka ring a bell? Maybe ALL the scopes you buy???

When I do a wrong think, like recently purchased a FoxPro electronic caller, I don't look for the look, but flinch............fully knowing that the smack to the back of the head will soon follow.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:24 AM

Oops, sorry for getting off topic. I have never used Bore Butter.

Quick Reply: Bore Butter swabing for accuracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.