Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex Select

Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Pyrodex Select

Whats the difference between pyrodex rs and pyrodex select? I saw some at the store the other day.

Also,those 385 grain gp bullets drop 8" at 150 yards, think i should put it 4" high at 100 and go with it? 4"low at 150 isnt bad, just put the sights on the shoulder line and fire. Still not sure which bullet i will go with yet. I'd love to be back at 150 yards again.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pyrodex Select

The difference between Pyrodex RS and Select is the number of times the powder is screened. With the Select you will find a more uniform grain size in the powder granules. I was a Pyrodex Select shooter for many years, until an old fellow told me I was wasting my money of the more expensive grade. So I did a head to head test of the two powders and learned that old fellow was pretty smart... I've never bought the Select since.

As to your question of drop of projectiles, I think your more able to figure that one out then I am. I have a habit of sighting dead on at 70 yards. This suits the area I hunt just fine...
Old 01-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sure hope you guys don't go anywhere. I'm gonna learnalot from you as soon as my first muzzleloader gets here.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Whats the difference between pyrodex rs and pyrodex select? I saw some at the store the other day.

Also,those 385 grain gp bullets drop 8" at 150 yards, think i should put it 4" high at 100 and go with it? 4"low at 150 isnt bad, just put the sights on the shoulder line and fire. Still not sure which bullet i will go with yet. I'd love to be back at 150 yards again.

Right now your sights are great to 120 yards. See below. If you lift POI at 100 yards by another 3" it will be 1.5" higher than the chart at 50 yards and 4.5 " higher than the chart at 150 yards. You will be 4.5 inches high at 50 yards and 3.5 " low at 150. Personally, I would leave the sight where they are at, but then, you are a better shot than I with the open sights. Its up to you.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:17 PM

Interesting chart, that was nice to see. When i get some more bullets i'll take it back to the nra and set up a 150 yard target and see how it does and decide on adjustments. Looks promising out to 150 yards.
I found 6 more bullets in my bag from lastyear but its to friggen cold and icy to go fire them off.

Okay so the pyro select is no big deal, i just thought it may be a tad cleaner or have some kind of benefit but no biggie.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frontier,

I know you can't used them for ML season. But for regular rifle season, how about the 375 SSB? They have better resistance to wind deflection, more thump at impact for the same charge (beyond 30 yards), superior sectional density and shoot flatter. I've chronied 80 grains 3f Goex at 1420 fps with them. My interest in them is for 150 yard shooting.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:45 PM

i'll deff. take a look at those and order some. -4" at 150 yards would be perfect during regular season. would that be 8" low at 200? Thanks for the charts phil, where u been these days? havnt heard much from you.

Could you run my 120 grains pyro rs/ 245 grain powerbelt and see how they perform?
Jon
Old 01-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'll deff. take a look at those and order some. -4" at 150 yards would be perfect during regular season. would that be 8" low at 200? Thanks for the charts phil, where u been these days? havnt heard much from you.

Could you run my 120 grains pyro rs/ 245 grain powerbelt and see how they perform?
Jon
Jon, I've been busy and don't intend to spend as much time here as I have in the past. I'm gonna post the trajectory for the 245 to 150 yards. There are a couple of things I want to bring to your attention, though. Notice how the wind deflects the light PB charged with 120 grains more than the 385 GP charged only with 90 grains. Also notice howonly 80 grains with the 375 has less than half the deflection.The trajectory isvery flat but the deflection is very large. Also notice the thump of the 245 as compared to the other bullets. It loses steam fast and is really going faster than it shouldfor impact until it reaches 100 yards.Sometimes flatter isn't better and maybe thats the case here.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 PM

wow them babies were really flying! I was pushing close to, if not over 2000 when i used 150 grains pyrodex. But i tell you what, they exited those 2 deer i shot with those loads. Thanks for the info! What program do you use?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

What program do you use?
Jon, I use a web calculator that runs in the internet brower. Its free.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html

Cayugad posted its link a few months ago. I like this particular one because fewer inputs make it easier and faster to use.

Quick Reply: Pyrodex Select

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.