Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

PA Muzzeloader Hunting

Old 11-30-2002, 10:30 AM

Default PA Muzzeloader Hunting

Well some of you may not know but in Pennsylvania you may only use a flintlock muzzeloader. If anyone has anything, tips, just wants to comment about it, here it is.

Blake - Go get'em
Old 11-30-2002, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA Muzzeloader Hunting

While it is true that you may only use a flintlock during the late PA muzzleloading season, you can use any kind of muzzleloader you want during the regular gun season. Since most shots around here are at relatively short ranges, this is no real handicap, as far as I can see.....

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 12-20-2002, 07:01 AM

I am looking forward to the flintlock season :-)
Only a few more days away! 6 to be exact

Jennings Buckmaster Bow
.50 Cal Thompson Center Renegade
Old 12-21-2002, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

Pa late flintlock season is my favorite time to hunt. I save a deer tag and take the last week of it off from work.It's the perfect time to still hunt.There are few hunters and the deer are consistrating on the food supply.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:41 AM
Spike

I too am looking forward to the flintlock season. There has been just the right amount of time between the seasons to get my adrenaline pumping again. I usually take my 10-year old son along since he is on vacation from school. It's an excellent quality-time experience for us. Shooting a deer is just a bonus.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to work Christmas nite on 3rd shift(11pm-5am)and as soon as I'm done there,off to the woods I go.I'll be taking all my hunting stuff to work so I'll be ready!!!
Old 12-22-2002, 01:32 AM
Spike

I, and many of my friends, are re-enactment buffs portraying various time period preferances. We all enjoy putting on the attire and using the accoutraments of a pre-1840 time period of American Historical Heritage and hunting with the apperance and ambiance of a past time recaptured in our minds eye. Most of us do this for our own reasons and beleive 'live and let live' and 'to each his own'. I have a couple friends I hunt along side of that are totally decked in Flor. Orange and it doesn't phase any of us. We work with each other just as we do in any other hunt. I'm getting ready in my mind. I hope you all are successful this season in as much that successful means to you. Good Shootin'/

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols and guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilage." Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878

Old 12-23-2002, 02:14 PM

Glad I am not the only one that loves the late Muzzleloading season. I hope they keep it primitive flintlock only. Nothing against inlines or anything I just would rather see it stay as is.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'll be joining your ranks for the first time this weekend thru Wednesday (New Years). I purchased a Hawkens 2 years ago and never fired a shot through it until a week ago Sunday. It's zero'd and I have the utmost confidence in it out to limited yardage. I'm excited about taking my first deer with the ole smoke pole.

I've always tried to save a tag and late season always found me perched with bow in hand. Again, this year with the flintlock has me excited.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 12-24-2002, 01:10 AM

I truly think that the PA late season flintlock season is fine for all the old fart liberals who want to live in the past. I understand the thinking behind the Flintlock season but it is flawed in many ways. If you are asking who am I to question this I lived in PA for many years and now live in MI. The citizens of PA should contact your law makers and have them put a new muzzleloader season on the ballot for all muzzleloaders not just what the old farts want it to be.
On the other hand I think and it is already coming to pass that PA's big buck inititive is coming to pass and many fine bucks are being taken. PA model will be a model for other states to follow.
I have much family in PA and they would like to have another muzzleloader season that allows all muzzleloaders.