Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New sights are on.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:02 AM

Default New sights are on.

i got my new sights this morning for my winchester and man are they awesome! I drove up to raton new mexico to go to the NRA shooting range to sight in, started off with 90 grains pyrodex rs and 385 grain great plains bullet, 25 yards it was 6" low so i took a couple shots and zeroed it in, backed out to 50 and it was 4 inch low so i got that all set up and on target, went out to 100 and it was 4" low, took care of that and got it where i wanted it.. ........You ready?... 1" inch groups with open sights at 100 yards! These sights are awesome! The greatest thing.. 14 shots and ZERO swabbing! I used CCI primers and theyleft only a light blue film on my bolt and action. So i will be using these from now on. Had an awesome time out there. Those sandbags come in handy! It held a true 1" group after5 shots at 100 yards. I tried the ghost ring but will have to try it out more later on to see how i like it, but the other sights worked out perfect. Im all out of bullets AGAIN so will need to buy some more when they are in stock. Had an awesome day, cold and foggy but in my mind, it was a great day to sight in. Zero wind and comfortable. Even my cocky bro in law shot a few shots and loved the way it shot. and got good groups. My bro in law looked at me with bugged eyes and said, Imagine how it would shoot with a scope!! Lol. I told him i'd look into quick disconnect rings and look for a scope, He can use scopes in NM. But i was tickled ****less after the first 2 shots fell right in next to eachother at 100yards. 50 yard shots were 1/4" groups. I feel so much better than i did with those flexy crappy plastic sights lol.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New sights are on.

Great shooting. However, I must have missed the part that said what kind of sights you are using?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander
where i wanted it.. ........You ready?... 1" inch groups with open sights at 100 yards! These sights are awesome!
WOW! That is some remarkable shooting.What kind/model of sights were you using?

Oh, and aren't those 385 GP's amazing? They shot better than anything out of my Sidekick. I can't wait to try them with the Apex and Kodiak Pro. When Walmart reduced them to $5.00 a box, I bought every box they had (six of'em), though I gave one of those boxes to trophyhunter who bought my sidekick. Oh and did I say that they smack the snot right out of deer too?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think my eyes are good enough for 100 yd shooting for patterns. When you get online please tell about what sights you put on.

How much work to put on?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:30 PM

Tru glow sights from cabelas, They are $43. How much work to put on? oh about 2 minutes to take off your old ones and 2 minutes to put on the new ones. Just a couple screws/ washers and screw them on and you are done. Comes with 2 allen wrenchs to adjust with. Awesome sights and very nice to see with. 100 yards was bright and clear. My old ones were blurry. But i was really surprised how well those bullets shot. Makes me want to buy some powerbelts and see what they do. But after 14 shots with pyrodex rs, the last bullet loaded as easily as the first. Im still going to try those kleenbores out next time i go shooting and see if my groups tighten any. Im betting nothing happens other than a lot more fouling on my bolt area. This summer im going to build a shooting bench and get some sand bags, those suckers really do help out.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:42 PM

I took a pic of those sights today. Hopefully if its warm tomorrow i'll give it another go at my place and see how big a difference between sandbags/my fence line is. Possibly get some 245grain powerbelts and try out to 200 yards. If any of you guys have a ML'er with those plastic sights, junk them, buy these and you'll improve your accuracy greatly. Now im at the point where i wont buy another inline, with the way this is shooting, why not put money into bullets and have loads of fun? lol. Any way heres a pic of the sights. Its a little blurry but gives you an idea how they are.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 PM

Awesome shooting!! Glad you like the sights! I sure like the Tru Glo sights on my bow.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 PM

Thanks! But while we're on the topic, which tru glo sights do you have on your bow? Ive been shopping around for new bow sights, the sights on my bow are to dull and like my old rifle sights, Plastic. I need 5 pin sights.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 PM

I can't tell you exactly but it's a three pin. I got it on a super sale at Cabela's for $20. I'd like to get 5 pins as well.I shoot 40 but just aim high with the 30 with mine right now. They are quite nice sights by them. I would look in the Cabela's archery catalog and look into the PSE sights. They've got some very nice ones and I believe they're made by Tru Glo. PSE's are much cheaper too.

By the way, don't get too many pins. It will just confuse you hunting. You will rarely get over a 30 yard shot with bow. I limit myself to 30 yarders on deer with the occasional 40(I missed a doe at that range last year). 4 pins is perfect for deer hunting with bow.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:24 PM

okay cool i'll check cabelas out. i have 3 sight now and my first pin is 2" high at 15 and dead on at 25 so i find that nice. second pin is good from 30 to 40 yards. I thought that was odd but hey, i'll go with it lol. Carbon arrows are really nice too. If your walmart carrys them, pick up some of the Carbon wolverine hunters! Those babies were on sale for $2 each! They fly straight too.

Quick Reply: New sights are on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.