Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Unloading

Old 11-30-2002, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Unloading

What do you guys do to unload your gun at the end of the day? Discharge it or soak and pull the load?

MassBowhunter
"Climb Higher, Look Lower, Fall Asleep Less"
Old 11-30-2002, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unloading

If I started the day with a clean rifle, and haven't shot it, I will just uncap or unprime the pan. Then I store it in a safe place. Be careful about taking a loaded gun from a cold enviornment to a warm on. Condensation may build up, and you might have a mess. I always clean my rifle if I've shot it that day. If I want to unload it at the end of the day, I shoot it into the hillside. If the barrel is still pretty clean, you could pull the ball and save a little cleanup time.

Old 11-30-2002, 06:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-05-2002, 06:35 AM

You have to be carefull about bringing in your gun from outside to inside. I will not load my gun untill the morning hunt, I put a cap on and fire it empty to get rid of any moister, then load it. If I come in any where warm to do whatever, I keep the gun outside so it remains the same temp, At the end of the hunt If I didnt shoot it I bring it in the house and put it in a warm place, because condisation will build up, but it will dry by morning, if placed in a warm area. I put mine near my woodstove vent, where its not to hot but its warm, and I never had any problems with it not going off, remember warm not hot. I never did this with my older gun and I could see the moister on the barrle ect, and the gun did not go off when wanted to. If I shoot it, I will throw a brush throug it and start all over. Good luck
Old 12-05-2002, 04:31 PM

Is it legal to travel or possess an unprimed but loaded muzzleloader?
Old 12-05-2002, 05:12 PM

In Michigan it is legal to transport your cased loaded muzzleloader as long as the cap is removed. I go one step further and with rubber bands affix a note saying "GUN LOADED" so I don't fprget.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

It's legal in Iowa too, as long as there is no cap and the gun is cased. Jim