Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ya know what would really sell me?

Old 01-13-2007, 08:25 AM

Default Ya know what would really sell me?

All this inovation coming out but ya know what I'd like? And I know I'll get lambasted for it but I want a good rifle moderately priced ie.. 400-600 bucks that can handle 200 grns.

Sure it maye be more efficient to shoot at 100-120... WHATEVER!

I'd like the ability, should I decide, to shoot a heavy load for more range and knock down power at that range, and to know I've got a true BIG GAMErifle out to 50-75 yards.

Yeah it's the Tim "Toolman" Taylor syndrome that I don't think I'll ever be fully cured of.

It's not like you HAVE to shoot heavier loads and I'd probably still load 80-100 grns. 95% of the time but I'd pay the little extra for that option.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ya know what would really sell me?

I guess I see your point but really have to disagree with it. Why anyone would feel they need a rifle that shoots 200 grains of powder is beyond me. By the way there is one on the market that can do that now.

What are you trying to hunt? If this is just so you can get your shoulder brusied punching holes in paper, and buying cases of gun powder on sale, I am sure there are custom gun builders that can set you up. They might even throw in some leather pants and a whip since you're into pain.

Out to 75 yards a simple 100 grain load is going to do the trick. For years, Jim Shockey used to shoot a Knight rifle, 100 grains of powder and a Nosler bullet (whether he still does I do not know. I do know he changed rifles). He hunted every kind of critter in North America and managed to bring them down, usually with one well placed shot. People have blown right through deer at 120 yards shooting 85 grains of powder.

But if you want to shoot 200 grains of powder I say go for it. Personally, I'd like to watch you shoot.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

They might even throw in some leather pants and a whip since you're into pain.
i just peed myself a little
Old 01-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

I belive they have had these type of weapons for years, something that shoots more powder and heavier projectiles. Its called a cannon, any good pirate ship will have a fewof them.

Otherwise, from 50 - 75 yards, 150 gr. is the max you could ever need.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:37 AM

i have a vhs tape of roger raglin PowerPunch and he shoots a white rifle with 200 grians pyrodex rs and some big bullet. He was hunting cape buffalo so that shows you 200 grains of powder would be huge overkill on any animal in the states. including our buffalo.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:48 AM

My entire point of this post is that I'm not gonna spend the 1600.00 minimum that I saw that one rifle that can handle 200 grns. cause yeah I don't really need it but if they made a rifle that could shoot that load that sold for4-500.00 or so it would be in my cabinet.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree, not because I think I need 200gr but because it would increase the safty factore.
Do you have any idea how long a barrel it wood take to burn 200ge with a reasonable amount of efficintcy?
Now my wish is for a 34 inch 54 cal with a 1-66 twist for PRB in a Omega. Lee
Old 01-13-2007, 04:59 PM

200 grns? No wonder old Roger is so jumpy. A friend met Roger several years a go and he said if he didn't know who he was he would have guessed he was hi. One jumpy sucker is old Roger and I love it!!