Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First range session with Omega

Old 01-12-2007, 05:02 PM

Default First range session with Omega

Finally got to shoot my Omega today. My wife surprised me Christmas with a Omega 50 Cal SS/camo thumbhole. I put my 2 x7 Luepold ML scope on and waited to get some range time. Deer season is still open in Alababama and if I was going to get the Omega sighted in I had better get with it. We have a National Forest brand new rifle range about 30 min away. It is super nice. It is in the Cherokee Natiomal Forest here in East Tennessee. Nice benches with a real nice roof,bathrooms,25 yd pistol.50 yd rifle and a 100yd rifle. All paved ad concreted. I had hillbilly bore sighted my Omega and headed out. Everyone seems to recommend 100 gr loose T7 and a 250 SW bullet. Thta's whatI used along with Win T7 primers. Not enough time to hunt the perfect load for this season. First shot at 50 Yds was 2 in to the right. Moved on to 100 yd. It took2 shots to get it dead on at 100yd. I had a little help so I hillbilly adjusted my scope without firing a shot. I fired one shot and it was 3 in hi and 2 in left. I held the scope in my sight in vise at the same spot I used for the first shot. My friend then moved the crosshairs to the bullet hole. Now shoot 4 more and see what happens. Unbelievible!! All 4 shots were in a 1 1/4 inch group about 1 in hi at 100yds. The only thing I did was JB the bore real good and I spit one patch and then used 2 dry. I got $900 CF rifles that don't shoot that good.I also experienced the "crud ring" but thanks to this forum I worked around it. I got a 9 pt on one of my deer vamera's and a week from friday I hope he comes down the same trail.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First range session with Omega

That sounds like you have a really good shooter. A deer better say a long distance away from you with the kind of accuracy you are experiencing... Good luck deer hunting.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:56 PM

I had great success with my Omega my first time out as well.I got it sighted in in 3 shots and it has been shooting good enough for me. My favorite load for it is the 300 grain XTP's and 100 grains Pyrodex. I tried the 250 grain Shockwaves and it shot pretty good but I'll stick to the 300's.They should perform excellent on whitetails out to 100 yards. I would shoot the 300 grain Shockwaves but they're too expensive.

Do you like the thumbhole stock? I for one am not very fond of it. It doesn't seem as natural as it should to aim with it for me. Also, is it hard to cock the hammer when you have to take your thumbout ofthe hole? That was my main reason for not buying it.

I hope you like it as much as I like mine. It sounds like you do. I'm out to go for the gold tomorrow and take my time and work on groups.

Everyone, I'll post my groups tomorrow--pics of the targets--if you want to see 'em.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldwun

I got a 9 pt on one of my deer vamera's and a week from friday I hope he comes down the same trail.
I hope so too. You areready for him when he does. The vise method of sighting is very clever, if only I had one. Great report and good luck on your hunt oldwun.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorslover

If you get a chance try some Speer Gold Dot .452 - 300 grain HP's. The box will say they are the 454 Casual. They have a much greater BC and they are bonded - they can not come apart as the Hornady's do on occasion. I call them my "poor man's Nosler's" after the very expensive Nosler Partition bullet... every bullet is getting more expensive these are about $14.00 for a box of 50. Speer also makes a normal .451 - 300 grain electroplated bullet that will fly close to the same as the Gold Dot out to 100 yards, it will drop a little, but it is cheaper to shoot on paper...

There is a couple of post I could show that shows the performance of these Gold Dots to Hornady's... if you are interested.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Sabotloader

YesI would be interested in the comparson of the Speer/Horn bullets. I had read some of your posts about the Casull Speer. It is on my list to order when I get to my gun shop

Yes I like the thumbhole but I have 5 CF and 2 RF with the thumbhole. I see what u r saying about cocking the Omega when using the thumbhole. My son doesn't like it for that same reason.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:32 PM

Default RE: Sabotloader

I forgot to ask but when u use the GD do u use the MM 24 sabots? I just got some of those yesterday.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sabotloader

oldwun

I do they work very well for me, there is one a little thinner though if you need it. With your new gun the barrel might be a bit tight right now but loosen with time...

Still have not made the shop though - I am a double retiree but I still go back to work for the Forest Service... no brain - no pain...

Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

outdoorslover

If you get a chance try some Speer Gold Dot .452 - 300 grain HP's. The box will say they are the 454 Casual. They have a much greater BC and they are bonded - they can not come apart as the Hornady's do on occasion. I call them my "poor man's Nosler's" after the very expensive Nosler Partition bullet... every bullet is getting more expensive these are about $14.00 for a box of 50. Speer also makes a normal .451 - 300 grain electroplated bullet that will fly close to the same as the Gold Dot out to 100 yards, it will drop a little, but it is cheaper to shoot on paper...

There is a couple of post I could show that shows the performance of these Gold Dots to Hornady's... if you are interested.

Here is what the Gold Dots do on deer, hitting bone. Puts them down with little weight loss. Thanks Mike for the recommendation, and the price is right at about $14 or $15 for 50. Chap Gleason Va