Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Electra Magnum

Old 01-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: CVA Electra Magnum

Well if they had some way of keeping the water from getting past the sabot then they would have a way off keeping the powder dry.Trust them to fix the wrong end first. Lee
Old 01-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

Not for nothin, I'm one who is pro technology & love to try new products but this is getting ridiculous folks[&:]
Old 01-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not like it. To me, muzzleloading is about the tradition.
Flintlock and roundball!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

i would be afraid it might short out.. ill stick the the putting a cap in to ignite the powder!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Field and Stream named it "The Best of the Best" in their September issue. However, in their test they dunked each rifle in water for 1 min and it was the only one that didn't go off. They did say that they shot excellent. Since the magazine is sitting beside meThis is theexact quote "It was hands down the most accurate gun tested."

I personally have not shot or even held one anddon't have any desire to purchase one. But if you like it go for it.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

To quote the salty old general in the 1980's movie "Wargames" - "I wouldn't trust that overgrown pile of microchips any farther than I could throw it".

I'm sure it is a very accurate gun and has other good qualities. I just would never buy one - for that price you can get a really nice muzzleloader that you don't have to worry about moisture or wetness getting into the circuitry and shorting the whole thing out. Last year I was in a massive rainstorm with my ML - was like being in the middle of a tropical storm for an hour. The only way I could have gotten my rifle wetter would have been by dunking it underwater for a few minutes. I went back to the cabin after it stopped raining to change the powder & primer, and I decided to see if the gun would shoot in its soaked condition. Much to my surprise, it fired (with a noticable lag time between when the primer went off & when the gun fired).

I just think that apart from the whole issue of the battery, you could be looking at a non-functional rifle if you would happen to get it really wet, whereas in a normal ML, all you gotta do is dry off the gun and put some fresh powder down the tube.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

It is not a matter of whether you are pro technology, or so traditional in your beliefs that you refuse to accept this, orany other kind of modern style rifle. This rifle is a gimmick that was intended to get some market share. If you notice, many companies do not come out with an innovative new design of rifle like when the Omega hit the market years ago. Instead, they wait and see what sells then produce their own version of it. Omega turned into the Kodiak, and New Frontier. The Encore turned into the Optima, Wolf, and Beartooth Magnum. I am sure I missed some.

Knight had great rifles with the Disc Elite, Disc Extreme, even the Bighorn and went to the Revolution and Vision. I don't think those models caught on too well. Why I am not sure. These two new rifles being offered might be the ace in the hole for Knight. The Rolling Block is a most interesting rifle. I have not seen the KP-1 (I think it is called) yet, but I have read a lot of people asking about it.

Companies try to come up with something that will interest the consumer. Remington and Traditions have the Yukon, and Genesis rifles. Which I admit were interesting flip breech designs. Knight has the KP-1 and the Rolling block. All of them are hoping, banking actually, that you will like their design and purchase that rifle.

CVA used the Electra for just this veryreason. They want to catch the techno shooters interest. They could care less about the traditional shooters. There are always people that like the unusual or innovative. Which this rifle, whether you like it or not, is. Electronic ignition, battery operated, and accurate. If they had an innovative idea like the Triumph (which is based on the top selling Omega) or the KP-1 and Rolling Block, they would have went that route.

The reason the Electra does not interest me to the point of ownership is their cost, and the fact that I would be hard pressed to get a rifle that shoots better then the ones I currently own. Also the rifle is new on the market. Give it a couple years and then read the reviews of how the battery operated rifle worked in field conditions. If you like the reviews, and are still interested, then get one. By then the price of them will come down as well and any flaws in them will be worked out.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:51 PM

I've recently purchased the electra and i love it. Run two damp swabs thru it when your done shooting, and the barrel is sparkling clean. I also own a knight mk-85, but after shooting the electra, i think i will give the knight a break for a while. And for people saying that it is going to go off while loading, there is the safety AND there is a on off switch down by the trigger which kills the power for loading. Sweet gun.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:23 PM

Well I am sure that this gun wont be leagal in Oregon for the foreseeable future. At least not for black powder season. I have heard that Oregon has some of the most restrictive black powder rules.

Personally if I am going to shoot black powder, it going to be a traditional gun with patch and ball. If I am going to shoot a modern rifle it will be cartridge.