Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Spotting scopes

Old 01-10-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Spotting scopes

Been considering a spotting scope. Does anyone currently use one and would make a recommendation?

The Bushnell and Tasco scopes look pretty good for the price and 60x seems to be the max power on most.

Thanks-
Old 01-10-2007, 08:23 PM

Default RE: Spotting scopes

We have a bushnell spotting scope, If you buy any spotting scope, invest in a high quality bi pod stand for it. We bought a cheapie and you want to puke your guts out after a few minutes. All it does is wiggle back and fourth when its slightly breezy. And try getting a bi pod thats fairly heavy. Not heavy but you know, sturdy and not cheap and flexy.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike, I have had both I recently, got rid of the Tasco, I really like the Bushnell I have the rubber coated camo model 20 to 60 power with 60 mm lense but you will find that you need good strong sun light for any thing over 50 power to work good unless they have made a lot of improvment in the last 10 years. Lee
Old 01-10-2007, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Mike, I have had both I recently, got rid of the Tasco, I really like the Bushnell I have the rubber coated camo model 20 to 60 power with 60 mm lense but you will find that you need good strong sun light for any thing over 50 power to work good unless they have made a lot of improvment in the last 10 years. Lee
What didn't you like about the Tasco? I've been looking at the Burris15-45x60 Landmark Spotterbut it's a bit out of my range (~$200).
Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a very good pair of binoculars made by Bushnell. I take them and set them on my shooting stick and that allows me to check the target. I too have thought of getting a spotting scope, but I guess the walk to the target and back is good for me...
Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 PM

I tried binos years ago at the shooting range with a pair of Custom Compacts. They were nice and clear but didn't have the power to resolve the 220 Swift holes I waspunching then. I do have a pair of 7 x 36 binos now so I guess its worthtrying onthe 50 caliber holes.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

We have a bushnell spotting scope, If you buy any spotting scope, invest in a high quality bi pod stand for it. We bought a cheapie and you want to puke your guts out after a few minutes. All it does is wiggle back and fourth when its slightly breezy. And try getting a bi pod thats fairly heavy. Not heavy but you know, sturdy and not cheap and flexy.
I agree fully about the bipod, it was a hard lesson for me to learn getting the 25$ one instead of a good one. I quickly got sick of it and needed to buy a good sturdy one, it makes all the difference.

I have always liked my bushnell scopes for the money.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 AM

I think its like most things.... the more you spend the better the quality. I have used several spotting scopes and the higher end ones are very nice compared to the "cheap" ones. Personally I would not buy one unless I knew for sure I would be pleased. Also like the others said you need a good mount ... I call it a Tripod (they called it a bi pod)... anyways... a purpose built spotting scope Tripod of good quality will work better then many universal tripods used for Video cameras or regular cameras. A friend of mine has a high end Leupold and to be honest its much better then the Bushnell I have used, but its twice the price too.