Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

weather test on substitute powders

Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: weather test on substitute powders

yeoman

Nope butt is down.... I really do not think I am getting the consensation problem. This the same thing I do during hunting season also. and knock on wood I have never had a problem..... NOTICE in the senerio - the gun never comes from cold to warm - there is always a slow warming in between - then to the house....

Any time you compact T7 in the gun - I have never been able to pour it out.... even when I remove the BP, I'll get a little bit out but the majority of it is still compactacted.... This did worry me some once so I removed the BP and captured the powder as it came out when I pushed the sabot on through... I was dry and fine just poured it back into my range bottle of T7.

My barrel is relativly free of any oils, as free as I can get them with a patch,when I am loaded so I have never concerned myself with oils running down either.

Has worked like a champ during hunting season... the load that I shot my little buck this year was @ 170+ yard was over a week old in and out of the field - truck & house....

I guess I'll find out Sunday for sure... anyway I hoping I get to shoot Sunday - Monday is a holiday so it might be Monday.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

"when I am loaded so I have never concerned myself with oils running down"

Me neither Mike.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:33 PM

I guess what I would really like to know, in a fairly scientific "apples to apples" test under extremes of temperature and humidity; is how reliableignition would be comparing black powder, various substitutes, and various pellets. My guess would be that black powder would be the most affected by condensation, and that the pellets would be the least affected. Sort of the opposite of how easily the propellants ignite when spark is marginal.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Roskoe

Think about this cause i have know idea what it proved or what it means... The other day sitting around thinking I thought I would try an experiment...

question? I you were to fill a small container with hat tap water... then drop a small amount of powder into the water - what do think might happen? Let it sit inth water for 48 hours, what would happen? I can not tell you about anything other than T7. But what I expected was the the granuals to swell up and desinegrate into a black mud. It did not happen. I have noticed as I poured T7 in the toilet, dumping a load, forgetting to flush and come later the powder had collected itself into a small pile at the bottom on the pocelain. You could still see the individual graunuals. Well same thing happened with hot water and a teaspoon of powder. It sat in the container for 48 hours and inverted cone and all the time i could see the individual granuals... the water never blacken. I honestly believe if I had the time to allow the water to evaporate and the powder to dry everything would have been just fine. I know you can dry BP but I did not think you could dry subs...

Again I have know idea what I might have proved - if I did a prove anything - I just do not think T7 is as fragile as some people think it might be.

My shooting date has been moved to Monday - it ought to be interesting the gun went outside from the house with the outside temp -2 and has been outside all day. It will come back in around 4, well back into the garage, then the house forovernight...

will it shoot and will shoot well on Monday? - only time will tell. I am still believing it will.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:50 PM

Looking forward to hearing about the results of your testing. I think there is something worthwhile to be learned here . . . .
Old 01-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Dave, for sharing all your tests info with us!