Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are CVA & Traditions junk?

Old 01-09-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are CVA & Traditions junk?

Thanks fellers,
It looks like I'm bound for a Trade Rifle. Why do you fellers shoot the .54 instead of the .50? Do you prefer the flintlock over percussion and why? I'm not trying to sound pushy, just glad to be able to ask these questions from fellers that know. I appreciate all the help.
Mac
Old 01-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

The Lyman rifles are Italian made and of very good quality. The main reason that a lot of the Lyman rifles are ordered as Flintlocks is that they make a rifle that is more "traditional" looking in style and if that is what the interest is it carries over to having it in Flintlock. If I intended to shoot and hunt and there were no restrictions I would go with the cap lock instead of the Flintlock as it is a lot easier to manage with reliable results. The flintlock requires a lot more knowledge and experience to be reliable. I have a Trade rifle in flintlock but have not shot it as yet. It sure is pretty though. It is not my main hunting rifle.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mcawful

Thanks fellers,
It looks like I'm bound for a Trade Rifle. Why do you fellers shoot the .54 instead of the .50? Do you prefer the flintlock over percussion and why? I'm not trying to sound pushy, just glad to be able to ask these questions from fellers that know. I appreciate all the help.
Mac
I shoot the .54 caliber because with traditional rifles, I want as big a caliber as I can get. When I have to shoot distance, I like a larger caliber. Also I feel the .54 caliber is one of the best traditional calibers out there today. The .54 caliber is 30% heavier then the .50 caliber. That means more down range energy.

I purchased the flintlock because I wanted to teach myself how to shoot one and make one work for me. It was actually a new experience for me. If you're new to traditional rifles, get the cap lock. It will be easier for you. If you want a challenge, get a flintlock. Both are excellent rifles. Both go off just fine if you do your part.

My Trade rifle also shoots conicals and powerbelts very well. I shoot 90 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball. It is all the medicine a whitetail deer needs.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:04 PM

I also came across that website some time ago and can tell you that most of it is actually correct. I had a winchester apex and couldn't get it to shoot well with anything. I bought the Omega and had it zeroed in 3 shots. The barrels on the CVA's and Traditions are nowhere near the quality of the TC's and Knights. Good ratings don't just come because of money. Someone doesn't just make up all that stuff. I said that he was full of crap previously but found out he was right for the most part. He might overexaggerate some defects but he knows his stuff. The overall quality in the TC's and Knights is remarkably better than the BPI's. Furthermore, why would you give the Spanish business when you can get some high quality American made stuff? It's like buying a Hyundai when you can get a Chevy for a little more. You might get lucky and get a good foreign gun or car, but why risk it? It's definetely worth the extra time spent saving. You might as well get a local, high quality product from acompany with a good track record.

I think the TC's are twice the guns the CVA/Traditions are. That's my opinion and my views. By the way, sorry ifI offended any Hyundai owners[8D]
Old 01-09-2007, 07:06 PM

By the way, the lifetime warranty TC gives is worth the money alone.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:14 PM

Allright ive heard enough. #1, outdoorslover has very little experience with sighting in muzzleloaders. Complained about busted and bloody knuckles while trying to load a sabot = To tight of sabot. First it was powerbelts wouldnt shoot after 12 shots, we took care of that problem and switched to pyrodex rs i believe and swab every 2-3 shots and got on target. Then next day it wont shoot and theres a sabot involved and the gun isnt on sight. I didnt know there was a switch in type of bullet being used. After 60 shots and bloody knuckles, i would have been switching sabots to a thinner sabot. the reason those sabots you are now using in the omega load so easily is due to that being a bullet the omega is good with. And i'll borrow a saying that i saw sabotloader use once on a diff sight, only reword it a little.
You ask: why buy from spain when you can buy quality american made products?
Its always that "few extra bucks" more that Americans lack.
Lets pray this kid dont take toby bridges or randy wakeman to heart, we'll all be in for it then.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I also came across that website some time ago and can tell you that most of it is actually correct. I had a winchester apex and couldn't get it to shoot well with anything. . .
Yeah I know, but guess what? I know a guy who goes by the name of Water Swatterwhose been suffering with an Encore since 1999 that does well to get a 6" group at 100 yards. If T/C doesn't fix his problem, I would wager he would jump at the chance to trade for an Apex like mine. Oh and by the way, your Omega may never shoot as well as my Apex. Really, I'm serious. Or as well as Scoutdad57's or dmurphy317's or many, many, other Apex. There are no guarantees.

By the way, the lifetime warranty TC gives is worth the money alone.
MO Archer's lifetime warranty on his Kodiak seems to be working OK. I wonder if sabotloader had to return his stock at his own expense?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I also came across that website some time ago and can tell you that most of it is actually correct. I had a winchester apex and couldn't get it to shoot well with anything. I bought the Omega and had it zeroed in 3 shots. The barrels on the CVA's and Traditions are nowhere near the quality of the TC's and Knights. Good ratings don't just come because of money. Someone doesn't just make up all that stuff. I said that he was full of crap previously but found out he was right for the most part. He might overexaggerate some defects but he knows his stuff. The overall quality in the TC's and Knights is remarkably better than the BPI's. Furthermore, why would you give the Spanish business when you can get some high quality American made stuff? It's like buying a Hyundai when you can get a Chevy for a little more. You might get lucky and get a good foreign gun or car, but why risk it? It's definetely worth the extra time spent saving. You might as well get a local, high quality product from acompany with a good track record.

I think the TC's are twice the guns the CVA/Traditions are. That's my opinion and my views. By the way, sorry ifI offended any Hyundai owners[8D]
I am having issues with my BRAND NEW BPI/CVA Kodiak right now....7 minutes on the phone and the new part is on its way at absolutely NO COST to me- not even shipping. They didn't even ask for my serial number or anything. Sure there have been flaws already, but when it shoots as good as it does and the fine folks down in GA stand behind their product I see nothing wrong with it. I would put my Kodiak up against my Omega ANYDAY on the range for accuracy. I love my Omega, but the Kodiak is a damn good shooting gun too.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a CVA that I bought over 6 years ago and it is a very sweet shooter. I have shot over 100 grains in my barrel many times. Usually only 85 grains of Triple 7 and a 200gr Shockwave. I wouldn't trade my hunterbolt for another gun the way it shoots.

And mine doesn't have any problem with a crud ring.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

The best prices I have found for a Lyman Trade Rifle is at D&R Sports.Com their web site is; http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R_Catalog_Lyman_Muzzleloaders_1529.html I purchased my Trade Rifle from them. Every thing was as promised, shipping was fast, and the price was right. I am sure there are other stores out there with similar deals. I just have not found them... yet. (thank goodness)

Quick Reply: Are CVA & Traditions junk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.