Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

25 acp conversion

Old 01-09-2007, 11:32 PM

Default RE: 25 acp conversion

Water Swatter you need to check your action pin it is more than likely
loose also make sure your barrel is floating 6" groups with an Encore
means something is seriously wrong the .25 A.C.P. will do nothing for you.
The difference between the 25 A.C.P. and the vari flame is the 25 A.C.P.
is a new breach plug, the vari flame is basically a 209 sized cup that you
press a small rifle primer into so you use your existing breach plug
Old 01-10-2007, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

I am considering doing this on my Omega. Where are you getting your 25ACP brass from? If you buy new brass, do you have to size it?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:53 AM

If you order the plug from Precision Rifle you get 12 brass with the plug
you can order more through them I think it was about $15 for 100 and no there is no trimming you use the cases full length youdo need ahand priming tool tool reprime the cases
Old 01-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Check your state laws first in some states it makes the gun with that conversion illegal to use during muzzleloader season. Lee
Old 01-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info guys.
Lee, there are no restrictions on muzzleloading in my state. We can even use scopes during primitive weapons season!!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Spike

During the MZ season in Colorado it is granular powder only, iron sites only, 209 primers or mz caps or flint, and no sabots. Inlines are OK. During the regular rifle season everything is fair game.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

norsky

I really should let MLKeith answer this because it took him two years to convince me, but there is not going back now...

It is clean - it seals well - it can be loaded with your fingers... I know you can load 209's with a capper - but it is clean - even the spent shell is in good shape and cam be re-primed...

Oh! and take a shot drop the breech and let the spent shell slide out into your hand...

I have converted my Omega and my NEF Huntsman. I also understand that Doc White is now making a similar conversion for his Thunderbolt bolt action rifle. I think he is using a .32 rimmed case (probably .32 S&W short). He is also impressed with the reduction in blowback with this type of primer system. I have a Thunderbolt coming from Doc when he has time to install the barrel. I bought one new but missing the barrel. I want it converted to his new system which I think he calls "336" which I think is the diameter of a .32 case. I agree that once you have this system the 209 primer becomes a thing you don't want to deal with anymore. Lucky I picked up some once fired .25ACP brass over the years and have lots of it.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can certainly see why a NEF owner would be interested in one of these. The blowback is horrendous with the OEM breechplug. But I just can't see how this product would help with blowbackforBPI rifle owner. That CVA/BPI breech plugfires amazingly clean with Kleanbore and Winchester for Muzzleloading 209 Primers, (someone else was getting similar results using CCI 209s). I'm not sure how they do it, but there is something unique in its design. I get no noticeable blowback at all and I am using real black powder. Amazingly clean system compared to the NEF OEM plug.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:52 AM

I have every possible gizmo on my Encore it seems including this one. Is it worth the money?... probably not. I invested almost $100 between the kit, primer tools, extra cases (200), (200) primers, etc. Is it more accurate. Not for me... not at all, BUT I was shooting quarter size groups anyways. What IS nice is how CLEAN they fire (compared to 209's) plus the fact they are easier to slide into a breech compared to a 209.

Here is a tip. I loaded 100 of the brass up with primers and instead of them being loose I used an old 209 primer holder (plastic holder) and slid them in. Makes for a slick way to carry them. I use another one to put the spent casings in and reload later. This will help keep the casings from getting damaged.

When I go shoot my Encore I shoot between 25-50 shots. This used to leave the breech area just NASTY with the old 209 primers. Now its MUCH cleaner and like I mentioned its much easier to load a .25 case verse a 209 primer.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

yakfisher, We have open laws here any kind of muzzle loader or scope is legal for every thing,but in the law that defines what a muzzle loader is it says if you can put a shell or shell case in it it is not a muzzle loader. Lee

Quick Reply: 25 acp conversion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.