Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question on Omega Stock

Old 01-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question on Omega Stock

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

theres no way the omega black syn. stock is better than the apex. The omega i handled was very flexy at the barrel portion end. Kind of reminded me of the stock on my old cva staghorn, but when a stock is hollow, flex is always going to be there. I wonder how the hollow stock do in really hot weather? Kind of curious if the stocks swell like the barrels do when they get hot.
Frontier Gander,

The Apex has a hollow butt, it is not solid, I have removed the butt plate to observe this. I am actually quite pleased to find it hollow there as I can add more weight there for the final balance without any extra steps.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

The stock is not hollow in the forearm, only in the buttstock, and that is a very simple problem to fix. From the reciever up the stock is all one piece and while it can flex some usually, and for most all with an Omega it will not cause a problem because of the thickness & hardness of the barrel. I could have the same stock on my White and it would not matter what pressure I put on the stock - you would not move the White barrel if you wanted too - same for most Octagon barrels. If the whole action shifts along with the barrel no big deal because the scope will still be on. The flex in the barrel does not occur at the reciever it occurs out towards the end of the barrel where it gets thinner. If you were to compare the thickness of the barrels on the different models I think you would see what I mean.

So much of the stuff that is done to modern ML's is down to reduce weight and to reduce cost - less metal - less cost.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:37 PM

the rear stock/ cheek area is hollow? Or does it just have that hollow hole in there when u pull the recoil pad off?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

F.G.,

The wall thickness of the butt of the Apex is substantial, but it is indeed hollow.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

You are correct, but that has nothing to do with accuracy. The hollow butt stock is done to reduce weight (which is a big concern in todays market) and to reduce cost (again a demand by the public). If you do not want it hollow, so you canreduce noise or change balanceyou can customize it to your hearts content, same a pglasgow is altering his stock to meed his needs.

I am going to modify my Omega stock not because it isn't accurate because it certainly is, but to fulfil my belief it is not strong enough in the recoil pockets - and again I am sure that TC feels that it is very adequate and for most it probably is... I can not remember how the Omega has been out now, but if it were a failure problem - the new Omega's would have a different designed stock on them - seems like good busines to me since they replace the stock anytime in its life as they did mine.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:55 PM

Hmmm interesting. I was messing around with my x-150 to see if the recoil pad on my 30-30 would fit, which it didnt. But i found my stock was solid except for a 1" hole drilled through the middle of the stock that went for maybe 6-7 inchs. Im thinking about a custom recoil pad with a hole in it and a trap door, Kind of like on the SKS assult rifle and find a bottle and put a little stash of cleaning supplies in there.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Original: Sabotloader

Obviously TC thinks it is fine just the way it is and in actuallity for 95% of the people it probably is.
Mike,

I'm not trying to insinuate that the design of Omega stock is inadequate. If I thought that was the case, I would just say I thought so. It does occur to me though that you may have unduly stressed the recoil support by lifting the lugs with shims, thereby given less supportof the shearing stresses of recoil, resulting in your need for warranty replacement of the stock. Which I might add, TC did without giving you a hard time.Even so, I would consider you to be an avid shooter who shoots his weapons more than the average "joe", though I would not consider a 100 grain 777 2f/300 sabot an inordinately large load. Recoil is the key and it is for this very reason that I elected to reinforce the system for transfering recoil in my Apex. Cause I may well fire 100 grains and a 375 or 435 saboted projectile in mine and I don't want to be sending my stock off for warranty replacement.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

It has been done before... that one inch hole MIGHT be there ascompensation for a balance point - just guessing...

That hole might make an excellent stash point for survival materials if you ever needed them ... candle - matches -etc... With a phillips screw driver on your leatherman you could get to them if you need them...

mike
Old 01-08-2007, 04:18 PM

hey thats a great idea! I like the survival kit better than my original cleaning kit. Im going to have to start looking for a small bottle to put up in there with some matches, string and hooks. Excellent idea!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

Pack it so it does not rattle, get the matches you can strike on anything then make sure they do not contact something that will start them...

Quick Reply: Question on Omega Stock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.