Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Spit patch

Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default Spit patch

I read over the weekend where an MZ "expert" claimed that most BP rifles perform more accuratley on a slightly fouled barrel. His suggested technique was to shoot, lick one side of a cotton patch, swab the barrel with the damp side, flip the patch, swab the barrel with the dry side, reload and shoot again. He also suggested never hunting with a "clean" barrel. His point was a clean barrel is frequently 6 inches off-target at 100 yds. and rarely in the same direction. Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spit patch

Several, I have never had a rifle that shot that far off on the POI he must not be cleaning it properly before he loads that could cause the POI change.My POI is usually two inches high at 100yds with a completely clean barrel on an inline and less on PRB with 6 inlines acting close to the same and having built a quite a few PRB rifles which acted similar to each other I am going to tell you that the products you use and the way you use them and the way you sight in and check the sight setting for hunting controls a lot of that particular problem. Lee
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

As for the spit patch.. I never spit in my rifles. I use alcohol to swab the traditional rifles and alcohol/windshield washer fluid on the inlines. It seems to stop the misfires and hang fires. Also I never seem to have enough spit when I need it. Also I always dry patch after loading.

The fowled barrel aspect can be very true. I will not claim 6 inches, but I have seen a definite 2" difference in some of my rifles. My White for example on a clean barrel will shoot 2" low every time. After that it behaves perfect and shoots where the scope says. So I have just learned to shoot 2" high on a clean barrel. It is also very consistent with this, so that is a benefit to me.

My Knight Disc is another rifle that on a clean barrel will shoot off the POI. I am a firm believer in fowling the inline rifles. The traditional rifles shooting roundball do not seem so fussy for some reason. They might be off an inch or so, but I can live with that.

The best thing to do is go to the range, shoot your rifle on a clean barrel and note where it hits. Then note the fowled barrel. Each time you shoot do the same thing. Pretty soon the rifle will show you a pattern of accuracy that you can then work into your hunting routine or adjust your hunting routine to satisfy your needs.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad
The best thing to do is go to the range, shoot your rifle on a clean barrel and note where it hits. Then note the fowled barrel. Each time you shoot do the same thing. Pretty soon the rifle will show you a pattern of accuracy that you can then work into your hunting routine or adjust your hunting routine to satisfy your needs.
Agree 100%. I have seen many "experts" wrong when it comes to my rifles, I prefer to find out their likes on my own!!
Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

I did the alchohol swab between shots yesterday followed by dry swab. Mostly just trying for consistency iin "procedure". I am getting excited as I fired the last 3 shots @ 100 with 270gr Saberteeth, 80 gr RS and managed a 3" group. Having shot 370gr maxiballs for 30 yrs. in this old sidelock that was a novelty. Maybe I'll try the spit patch for comparison in the event I reload after a shot in the field.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

Everybody probably has a slightly different concept on this and most often your own gun will tell you what it prefers, but.....

I never shoot a CLEAN barrel for accuracy. In the guns that I am shooting - they are always more accurate on a slightly fouled barrel than a squeakly clean barrel, can not say that there is 6" difference but maybe a inch or two @ a 100...

The only time I use a spit patch is in the field hunting so that is not very often. Even during the hunting season you have to be kinda selective because of the temperatures. Sticking a moist spit patch down a barrel in freezing temps can lead to problem also. Other than that I use a pre-moistened patch that I carry with me in a sealed container. I use windex vs Cayugads solution. The big key here is NOT to get them to wet, and they do not have to be. All you need is enough moisture to collect the loose fouling and to disolve the "crud ring" if you are suseptipble to that monster. Working the ram-rod in and out with quick short strokes will also help collect and keep it from getting stuck. Hunting, I beleive I can easily get 3/4 shots before it is necessary to patch because I do not fight the "crud ring." At the range I patch each shoot because my first shot will never be from a totally fouled barrel.

I should also add one more thing, since I am using T7 and I feel comfortable with this - I do not CLEAN, I mean really CLEAN my barrels at all during the hunting season after the the first "check me and see where i am shooting" shots. The barrels get get cleaned with windex patches until they come out clean but the gun is not stripped cleaned... Some, maybe mostwill not agree with this concept either - but it certainly works for me. I guess my methd of treating the barrel also gives me the confidence for this action.