Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

XTPs from now on

Old 01-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default XTPs from now on

***WARNING BLOOD AND ENTRANCE WOUND PICTURES***

Well I thought I’d let you guys know about my experience that I had w/my 300g .452 XTPs the other day. I’ve used these bullets for years and years and have always been impressed by how they drop deer without costing me an arm and a leg at the store. Well, as you’ll see, now I have another reason to like them.

I’ll try and keep the story as short as possible. About 9:45 I heard that unmistakable crashing sound of a running deer coming toward me. I grabbed my gun and she appeared at about 50 yards on the next ridge over. She crossed the hollow and came up the side of the ridge I was on. At this point she’s about 30 yards so I grunted and stopped her. I laid the crosshairs behind her shoulder (quartering away) and touched it off. She came out from behind the smoke screen doing the death stumble as I like to call it. She piled up in the bottom of the hollow about 20 yards later.

When I got to her I was amazed to see the entrance wound. I rolled her over and found the exit hole where it should have been at the base of her neck on the opposite side. It was about the size of a .45 cal. It was then that I knew I must have hit something in between the deer and myself to have done this kind of damage. In all my years of shooting these bullets I’ve never had one do this before.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q98/tnhagies/Entrance.jpg

So I walked back to where she was standing and found this. She was standing just to the left of the log.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q98/tnhagies/StandingLocation.jpg

I thought to myself, wow that’s a ton of blood.[/i] I then turned and that’s when I found this:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q98/tnhagies/Branch.jpg

That limb is about the size of a Sharpie. So that explained the large hole. Even more it impressed me that not only did I mange to shoot through a limb but the bullet still held together enough to do a considerable amount of damage AND at least a fragment made it all the way through. Not to mention the fact that I still hit where I was holding.

As you can imagine she left quite the blood trail even though she didn’t go far. Here you can see the trail and her lying in the bottom of the hollow.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q98/tnhagies/TrailtoDeer.jpg

The XTPs aren’t the most accurate bullet out of my Genesis that I’ve shot (less than an inch at 50 yards) so I was debating on switching. However, after this I’ve decided to stick with them from now on.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q98/tnhagies/Genesis1stkill.jpg

Remington Genesis
3x9 40mm Bushnell
.452 300g XTP
Harvester Crush Rib Sabot
100g loose Pyrodex RS
Remington Kleanbore Primer
Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: XTPs from now on

10-4, Good Buddy! I only have used the .240's and .260's and have been extremely satisfiedfor years! Might buy some .300's and give them a try!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Con grats on the deer.Well, I have had very good luck [if you want to call it that] with 230 240 and 250 now I might just have to try the 300 it must be real stable. Lee
Old 01-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

It was then that I knew I must have hit something in between the deer and myself to have done this kind of damage. In all my years of shooting these bullets I’ve never had one do this before.
Great report and congratulations on your harvest. You may be interested to know that the bullet impacted at around 1600 fps and considering the quartering shot, that sizeentrance is just what I would expect.I would guess thatbullet probably passed through destrying a rib ithit a little more edge on than if shot atotally broadside, giving the bullet more bone to crush going in. The bullet did a great job, way to go!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

nice pic ive used XTPs for a couple of years always impressive damage not always the best blood trail though
Old 01-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Great report with the picture line added. It sure made a believer out of me as far as the XTP and what it can do. Congratulations on a real nice looking doe. That blood trail was really something. She must not have had much for internal organs when you field dressed her.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

...She must not have had much for internal organs when you field dressed her.
There wasn't. As you could see I hit a little high for a heart shot but the lungs were just jelly. She did have several holesand slashes in her heart. Which I'm assuming was from boneand fragments of lead.

ORIGINAL: monster10rackstack

...always impressive damage not always the best blood trail though
I've always gotten a pretty good blood trail out of them so far (knock on wood) That being said I've only had maybe 1 or 2 that went over 40 yards after being hit so there's not been much of a need to trail.

This week was the end of my season so it was a nice confidence booster for next year.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:46 AM

I used 330 gr. XTPs this year. I was amazed as well. They perform nearly as well as the PB's and are like half the price. I too got an amazing blood trail with them after hitting a doe in the neck. She dropped and then crawled 30 yards. They aren't the most accurate sabots but I am a faithful user.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Excuse me, 300 grain XTP's not 330
Old 01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good report! Funny how those limbs jump right into a bullet's path when a guy pulls the trigger.

Would be interested to know more about your Genesis. I still have no scope on mine and was wondering what you selected for bases/rings/scope and if that combo gave you any problems with the cam. Also, what are your best performing loads (accuracy-wise)?As I look down the bore of my example, it appears the crown is an abrupt step and I'm concerned that might cause some loading difficulty. Has that stepped crown been any sort of problem for you? Have you tried any conicals in the rifle?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Quick Reply: XTPs from now on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.