Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

XTPs from now on

Old 01-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: XTPs from now on

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Would be interested to know more about your Genesis. I still have no scope on mine and was wondering what you selected for bases/rings/scope and if that combo gave you any problems with the cam. Also, what are your best performing loads (accuracy-wise)?As I look down the bore of my example, it appears the crown is an abrupt step and I'm concerned that might cause some loading difficulty. Has that stepped crown been any sort of problem for you? Have you tried any conicals in the rifle?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I just have medium rings on mine and there is plenty of room for the cam. I had heard a lot of talk about that very thing and then I went to the store and picked one up and realized it wasn't going to be a problem. Don't worry about it just put whatever rings/mounts youwould on any other gun. You may have to take the rear sight off. I think it depends on the scope because I hada 50mm on there first that was a little longer scope and it fit but I had to take it off when I chose the 40mm instead.

As for the loads, mine isn't too picky.Everything I've shot in it works well. (Powerbelts, Dead Centers, Shockwaves and the XTPs.)Powebelts are the most accurate but I'mnot droping that kinda money for them.My barrel seems to be a bit tight so I did have to switch to the Crush Rib Sabots to get some of them to go down like I wanted.

I have not shot any conicals in it. So I can't help ya there.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

TNHagies,
How far was that branch in front to the deers position? I hit a branch some where on the way to a gravy 80 yrd shot w/a 250 gr SST and had my first BP miss this season. I mean a real miss. I even tried it again and hit another small hemlock branch. Pencil sized about 15 yards in front of me. Never knew bullets deflected so easy but yours didn't!
Longest BP shot I ever took was 120 yrds, 80 grains BP, w/ a240 gr XTP. Double lunged in a dry cattail swamp. It an easy find!
How did you like the ribbed sabots? I've seen them but never tried them.
Thanks,
SHills
Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The branch was only about 4 or 5 yards from where the deer was standing. So no, it wasn't like the bullet traveled 75 yards more and then hit the deer.That would have been insane! I've cut twigs several times in my life but neverabranch this size and still got the results that I did. That's why it caught my attention.

I love the Crush Rib Sabots!After 3 shots w/out cleaning I can still load them easier than I could any other sabots I had in the house w/a clean barrel. I alsogot better groups w/them. Closed up my groupsby1/4 to 1/2in I'd say. (guessing)
Old 01-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

which 300 grain were you using the plain or the mag: bullet???
Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Mags. I buy in bulk.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Interesting photos, confirming for me that XTPs do fine. Heck, CheapShots do fine. Anyhow... I've not cut lumber while killed deer, but I have had a couple x44 240gr XTPs that made bigger entrance than exit wounds... this was a year ago, when i was using 100gr of 777 and range was pretty close. There'd be a lot of hair on the ground where the deer was hit, and very large entrance... then smaller exit. Dead deer.

I used to hunt the entire season with muzzle loader, this year upgraded to a Marlin 336. Lovely rifle. Four deer with it.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:14 AM

I was thinkin about switching to the XTP's for that reason big holes. a very good fried hit a small buck at about 13 yards with a TC sst 240 grains it made a small hole and left a small hole. hemade a double lung shot and the small buck ran about 40 yards. I have not personally seen a hole from the XTP's but my good friend swears by them. so this year I'm gonna try em.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Spike

i like xtp bullets shot a with a 240gr about 10yrds and angled a little tore a 3 inch hole goin in dont use anything else