Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex vs Triple Seven, whats your flavor?

Old 01-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pyrodex vs Triple Seven, whats your flavor?

I always used Pyrodex, never had a problem, just took awhile to clean.

i switched to Triple Seven this year, cleans quicker, but I noticed the bullet slides like its lubed? Not sure if thats cause it so much cleaner.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:22 PM

Default RE: Pyrodex vs Triple Seven, whats your flavor?

i like pyrodex rs. Why? been using it since my first muzzleloader and it does the job. Ialways wanted to pick up some triple 7 but after reading all the crud ring horrors i'll stick with something i know thats not fussy. i'll try ffg goex once i buy some for my flintlock and give it a try in the inline. I just have to pay a couple bucks more for the real stuff and drive about 2 1/2 hours.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

It depends on the rifle and the projectile I am shooting. I use both.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have been using Pyrodex RS, T7 loose, and T7 pellets. I like Pyrodex RS the best. I can't see where T7 is any easier to clean than Pyrodex, if anything it is harder because it leaves a worse build up in my opinion. And no matter what you still have to go through all the same cleaning steps using either. The only advantage I have found using T7 pellets is that it is faster/easier to reload, and it is easier to unload by removing the breech plug after hunting so you don't have to fire the round or leave it loaded.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:00 PM

I started with the triple seven because Cabelas told me thats the way to go, Now T/C is telling me to use pyrodex becuase is does not leave this residue.

Has anyone shot both? If so what differences did you notice??
Old 01-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

EncoreJoe, 777 is more expensive so they make more profit. I have tried them all except Black mag3 which I have only been able to get limited amounts ofnone have shot better than Pyrodex the spikes on the pressure gage tell me that its not smart to use much more than 110 gr of 777 ;App gives just about the same pressure as pyrodex and is almost as clean as smokless, but needs to be kept dry as it will attract moisture and then it wont shoot the same, it works just fine if you keep it next to the dehumidifyer in the gunsafe. Lee
Old 01-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Really interested in this thread. When I got my muzzleloader last week, Wal-Mart had 777 on sale at almost half price for a pound, so that is what I bought. I haven't had any trouble with clean-up, but I've been swabbing the barrel with Rusty Duck then running a dry patch between shots while I'm sighting it in and learning how it shoots. I have noticed appreciable build-up on the breech plug and at the breech end of the barrel when I disassemble at night (is this the infamous "crud ring"?)but soaking it all in HOT water seems to do the trick. This is my first ML so if I'm not doing this right or if there are better options, I would love to know.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:35 PM

I buy what is cheapest. The fact that Pyrodex is cheaper and cleaner burning is whyI always buy that. I have never even used Triple 7---in my gun. Pyrodex cleans up so easily with just a few patches. I see no reason to use Triple 7 over it.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

EncoreJoe,
I have used both RS and 777 loose in my TC Thunderhawk and Omega's. I started my BP shooting in the very beginning w/ RS w/ my first rifle, the TC Hawken. I never could get consistant results so I went to Goex BP and instantly got great results w/ RB, sabots and conicals. I believe this was due to the # 11 not hot enough and I did try CCI mag's and the german primers-Nobels? When I got the Thunderhawk I stuck w/ BP and then when I tried 777 I never again tried RS until last week. I found that in the Thunderhawk and the Omega w/ powerbelts and hornady SST ML in 245/250 gr shot tighter groups, had less fire out the barrel and less recoil. Bottom line was on paper. Definetly shot better in my rifle. RS is definetly messier bynumerous more patches but no crud ring.777 has anoffensive smell that wants to make you cough andburners my eyes when you get engulfed. Just my observations. I believe on the bottle or the data sheet it says to cut your load by 15% due to pressures and increased velocities. The Thunderhawk has a max 120 grains. I normally shoot 80 grains of BP.
Omega 110 grain RS or 777.
Hope this helps but I would try a pound just so you know.
SHills