Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just Rouged My Encore Bore

Old 12-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Just Rouged My Encore Bore

liquidorange

The problem! - I think for the most part is the fact there is no standard for a bore. The/A company, even a company like TC will have variances in their bores,can cut the bore anywhere in the vicinity of the advertised diameter... even when the tooloing gets olds and dull and does not provide uniform barrels it is Ok because there is no standard... Therefor sabot manufactures need to amke a variety of different thicknesses of sabot to fit the barrel. 45 cal being the more popular bullet to be used then several different thicknesses of sabots have been developed for them.

In most instances, but certainly not all, the 44 sabots come in one universal thickness developed by each sabot company and can be a bear to get down in tight bores also.

Using TC sabots, manufactured by different companies - who ever gets the contract, can be your best bet when fighting a tight barrel. + actually shooting and using your bore will loosen it up some.

another 2 cents.... wish the keyboard had a cent symbol....

Old 12-31-2006, 10:00 PM

Yeah,there's NO STANDARD set for bore size in black powder guns. My Prohunter has a smooth bore and loads easy. I just got lucky,I guess.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

rks1949

My Prohunter has a smooth bore and loads easy. I just got lucky,I guess.
You know I am not so sure of that.... Every company that makes barrels makes some really good barrels, a lotaverage barrels, and some not so good... It is just the old bell curve in action... I am sure thequality and the bore of yourPro-hunterbarrel is probably a higher standard than my Omega... and the price you and I paid for our guns reflects that higher quality.

just a thought...
Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 AM

Here's all ya need! I've used it for years in my varmit rifles. It won't hurt the bore,and reaslly cleans the bore up,making the fouling problem less. http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/rks1949/JBBoreShine.jpg
Old 01-01-2007, 05:08 AM

Try this,works great! Whoops!2 times!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:34 AM

Thanks everyone for youradvice. Thanks, lemoyne and sabotloader for your kind offers of bullets for me to try. Wife and i are going to OKC today and i will get some sabots there.