Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

lubing patches

Old 12-30-2006, 10:36 PM

Default lubing patches

Just how much bore butter should I put on there and do I put it on both sides or only the side that's touching the barrel/powder?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: lubing patches

if you mean lubing a patch. Put a dab of it in the patch and work it into the cloth with your fingers. It will actually be on both sides, but that is not a problem.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:45 PM

both sides, just a nice even coat and press into it as you smear. A cheaper product that will work is simple baking crisco. its cheap and you can buy it in a big bucket.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:03 PM

Yep, just put a dab on and rub it into the patch. It will soak through to the other side depending on how much you put on.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:50 AM

Or you can put a package worthof patches in a microwave or oven safesafe bowl and squeeze bore butter on them and mircrowave or heat in oven until the bore butter is melted in.

I typically do 200-400 patches at once and store them in a ziplock bag.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can micro wave crisco too. I like to do it in a fry pan and take soaked patches out with tongs to drip and place on a cookie sheet to cool. They seem to be coated evenly,better that way for me.

Al

Old 12-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good idea on making up a batch ahead of time via microwave. I put a dab on the patch and work ita dab I wouldsayif about 1/2 teaspoon or about 1/32 of an inch of bore butter squeezed from a tube.

At the range, in cold weather. I open the lid of my truck and place the bore butter on the block of the truck. In about 5 minutes it is pretty easy to squeeze out and not too runny. I also keep about 8 patches in a zip lock bag in my pocket, after a shot, I run two of them down the barrel to field clean the gun. Seating the bullet is then easy and accuracy is improved, forget a 2nd shot you don't need one.
Chap Gleason

Old 12-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

pre making patchs? you guys are are cheaters dont you love the smell of bore butter on your hands while hunting . i think the deer love it too! thats if any show up when i do it. i wonder why that happens
Old 12-31-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

pre making patchs? you guys are are cheaters dont you love the smell of bore butter on your hands while hunting . i think the deer love it too! thats if any show up when i do it. i wonder why that happens
I love the smell of powder going off and seeing a deer drop in it's tracks.
Chap Gleason Va
Old 12-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Liquid Lube - Moose Milk[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
8 ounces of isopropyl alcohol
3 ounces of Castor Oil
4 ounces of Witch Hazel
16 ounces of tap water
1 ounce of Murphy’s Oil Soap

(make sure you mix the ingredients in the exact order they are listed)

I buy a yard of material of 100% cotton blue strip pillow tick at the local wal mart. I wash that in the washing machine. I then line dry the material. After that, you can tear the strip real easy off that bolt of material. I like to tear off an inch and a half. Then you soak that strip in moose milk. Ring the excess moose milk out. Then I lay that on an old window screen in the sun and let it dry. This is a dry patch . If you like a more wet patch, you can spritz them with a spritzer bottle.

I cut my patches at the muzzle. I like the dry patches in the winter time when hunting in the cold. When I am on the range, I often times will just spritz a patch and use it fresh. It does not seem to bother anything...

Just a different way of doing things is all....

Quick Reply: lubing patches

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.